atom feed4 messages in org.isc.lists.dhcp-usersRe: dhcpserver and dhcperf on same ma...
FromSent OnAttachments
Rajitha ChinnapuAug 11, 2010 2:16 pm
Marc PereaAug 12, 2010 7:48 am
Rajitha ChinnapuAug 12, 2010 10:52 am
Marc PereaAug 12, 2010 2:36 pm
Subject:Re: dhcpserver and dhcperf on same machine - still not working
From:Marc Perea (
Date:Aug 12, 2010 7:48:29 am

Hi Rajitha,

It's a good step to install dhcperf on the same host as the dhcp daemon runs on
- that indicates to me that your DHCP server doesn't want to give addresses to
random clients perhaps? Our DHCP server only responds to known hosts, so when I
want to run dhcperf I have to add another network, define a class of hosts to
test with (so that they'd be known), and allow the class within the range for
load testing (implicitly denying the rest of my known clients). The config looks
something like this:

class "loadtest" { match if (option agent.remote-id = 6d:61:72:63:63:70); } subnet netmask { #LOAD TEST authoritative; option routers; option subnet-mask; option broadcast-address; pool { authoritative; range; allow
members of "loadtest";} }

you could also make a host entry (by mac or other identifier) to match with
instead of using a class, if that's easier.

This is based on the assumption that your DHCP server is somewhat locked down to
the clients that it supports - if that's not the case, what are you seeing in
the logs when you attempt the dhcperf?

dhcperf should work against any DHCP server - it simply pretends to be many
dozens/hundreds/thousands of clients coming from a certain network segment - it
just so happens that all that happens as emulation from a single host.

And then, to account for the drawback in the following post in the groups, i installed dhcperf on the same machine that has the dhcp server. but still, it gives the same problem. That means, something else is wrong here. any help is appreciated.