atom feed19 messages in com.googlegroups.google-checkout-api-miscRe: What would you like to see in our...
FromSent OnAttachments
GoogleCheckoutDevProSep 11, 2006 10:38 am
sipherSep 11, 2006 11:56 am
royal123Sep 11, 2006 12:35 pm
msolutionSep 14, 2006 7:55 am
sipherSep 15, 2006 3:25 pm
lassar2000Sep 21, 2006 5:30 am
adminSep 22, 2006 9:14 pm
William C. McCainOct 20, 2006 2:11 pm
Joshua BeallOct 22, 2006 7:50 pm
William C. McCainOct 23, 2006 4:13 pm
GoogleCheckoutDevProNov 28, 2006 5:11 pm
davekitsonNov 29, 2006 6:22 am
HarrierNov 29, 2006 3:32 pm
GoogleCheckoutDevProNov 29, 2006 8:12 pm
emaniaJan 8, 2007 11:05 am
CheckoutEngineeringJan 8, 2007 9:22 pm
JVJan 17, 2007 6:32 am
NoneJan 18, 2007 4:04 am
cpmikeJan 24, 2007 5:55 pm
Subject:Re: What would you like to see in our Developer's Center?
From:Joshua Beall (josh@gmail.com)
Date:Oct 22, 2006 7:50:59 pm
List:com.googlegroups.google-checkout-api-misc

William C. McCain wrote:

msolution wrote:

And definately a way out to integrate level2 without "https://"

I'd like to SECOND that request. Small merchants simply cannot afford the cost of an SSL certificate. If we could afford SSL, we could accept credit cards directly anyway, we wouldn't need Google or PayPal!

I'll start by saying that I think sipher's post (in this thread) with a suggestion on how to do this was a terrific idea. I truly hope that Google investigates this option.

But I'd also like to say: you can get an SSL cert for $15/year, and dedicated IP hosting for around $2/month (or $24/year). I do it for several of my sites. I use ev1servers.net for SSL certs, but they are others that offer similarly cheap certificates.

A total of about $40/year does not strike me as something that *anybody* running a business could "not afford."

Additionally, you can often avoid the dedicated IP/SSL certificate requirement if you're on shared hosting.

For instance, let's say you host with bobshosting.com, and you run a website, larryslawncare.com.

You'd have to check with Bob's Hosting, but it's not uncommon for webhosts to provide shared SSL that you would be able to access like this:

https://www.bobshosting.com/larryslawncare/yoursecurescript.php

Bob's Hosting needs only one IP, and one SSL cert, and all his clients can use his cert. When a page needs to be secure, it changes from:

http://larryslawncare.com/somefile.php

https://www.bobshosting.com/larryslawncare/somefile.php

I personally used this system for a some clients, but it didn't take long before I decided to just spend the $39/year to get an SSL cert/IP address for any domains that needed it.