atom feed730 messages in org.kde.kde-cafeRe: http://www.linuxandmain.com/comme...
FromSent OnAttachments
5 earlier messages
Matthias EttrichApr 11, 2002 5:04 am
Andy GoossensApr 11, 2002 5:11 am
Andy FawcettApr 11, 2002 5:23 am
Philippe FREMYApr 11, 2002 5:27 am
Matthias ElterApr 11, 2002 5:27 am
Alexander KellettApr 11, 2002 5:37 am
Rainer EndresApr 11, 2002 6:42 am
Johannes WilmApr 11, 2002 7:10 am
depApr 11, 2002 8:09 am
Timothy R. ButlerApr 11, 2002 8:31 am
Jochen Puchalla, UniApr 11, 2002 8:46 am
depApr 11, 2002 8:57 am
Roberto AlsinaApr 11, 2002 8:59 am
Linus GasserApr 11, 2002 9:00 am
Roberto AlsinaApr 11, 2002 9:02 am
Roberto AlsinaApr 11, 2002 9:02 am
TinkApr 11, 2002 9:04 am
Chris HowellsApr 11, 2002 9:07 am
Jochen Puchalla, UniApr 11, 2002 9:21 am
TinkApr 11, 2002 9:24 am
Andreas PourApr 11, 2002 9:27 am
Jochen Puchalla, UniApr 11, 2002 9:34 am
Sergio GarciaApr 11, 2002 10:40 am
Johannes WilmApr 11, 2002 11:14 am
Matthias ElterApr 11, 2002 11:29 am
Daniel CassidyApr 11, 2002 11:31 am
Daniel CassidyApr 11, 2002 11:38 am
Waldo BastianApr 11, 2002 11:47 am
Martijn KlingensApr 11, 2002 12:15 pm
Dan ArmakApr 11, 2002 12:23 pm
Jason HarrisApr 11, 2002 12:42 pm
Roberto AlsinaApr 11, 2002 12:52 pm
Chris HowellsApr 11, 2002 1:33 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 11, 2002 1:53 pm
TinkApr 11, 2002 2:17 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 11, 2002 2:29 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 11, 2002 2:35 pm
Bob ReaApr 11, 2002 6:19 pm
Neil StevensApr 11, 2002 7:16 pm
Sagie SokolovApr 11, 2002 9:43 pm
akarApr 11, 2002 11:04 pm
akarApr 11, 2002 11:55 pm
Dan ArmakApr 12, 2002 3:28 am
Linus GasserApr 12, 2002 4:05 am
depApr 12, 2002 5:59 am
Dan ArmakApr 12, 2002 6:13 am
Johannes WilmApr 12, 2002 6:44 am
Jason HarrisApr 12, 2002 7:10 am
Tim NormanApr 12, 2002 7:31 am
Martijn KlingensApr 12, 2002 11:50 am
675 later messages
Subject:Re: http://www.linuxandmain.com/comment/ed040702.html
From:Matthias Elter (m_el@t-online.de)
Date:Apr 11, 2002 11:29:29 am
List:org.kde.kde-cafe

I would very much like to see kde-@kde.org moved out of the kde.org domain and renamed to something not including "kde".

Why? People all over the world are not allowed to read that people within the KDE project have diverse opinions? That they're not afraid to voice thos opinions?

The editorial implies that the KDE community has extremely biased rather than diverse opinions. Of course anybody reading the full thread will easily notice that this is not the case. Unfortunately many people stop after reading the headlines let alone following links to background information.

What do you want the project to be, what is your expectation?

No expectations from my side. I just _do not_ want the project to represent the opinions of it's contributors because it can not.

I have watched the discussion closely and carefully, making sure everyone voiced their opinion in a proper way without hurting others. The only person who could not I send an email asking him to tone down his messages. Strangely enough that person wrote an inflammantory article on his website.

The editorial shows that you probably can never make sure that everyone voices their opinion without hurting others. This is not your fault but it seems that it can not be avoided in human societies.

We can not close down a list because some people might not like what you're saying. People all over the world are being censored, are not allowed to speak freely. Why shouldn't a project have political views?

While I very much welcome different views and opinions in the KDE community it happened several times that individual opinions have been picked up by "the media" to represent the opinion of the project and all it's contributors. For this reason I would like to see either a clear disclaimer that opinions raised on this list are not the opinion of the KDE project or even better political statements not being made on KDE mailing lists at all. There are better ways to express your political views.

What does FREE really means? In my interview series there was a question: What does the KDE project stands for in a time like this? Some answered; the ability to work with people all around the world.

To me the FREE in FREE software means also that a true FREE community, not bounded by borders of hostility, war and violence.

I share your understanding of free software but I believe that discussions like the one started by Waldo lead to more hatred than mutual understanding.

Greetings, Matthias