atom feed41 messages in net.java.dev.hudson.devRe: Migration from java.net
FromSent OnAttachments
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 2:03 pm
Stephen ConnollyOct 2, 2009 2:22 pm
Andrew BayerOct 2, 2009 2:33 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 2:41 pm
Dean YuOct 2, 2009 2:50 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 3:02 pm
Alan HarderOct 2, 2009 3:09 pm
Stephen ConnollyOct 2, 2009 3:16 pm
Frederic JeanOct 2, 2009 3:26 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 3:36 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 3:45 pm
Andrew BayerOct 2, 2009 3:57 pm
R. Tyler BallanceOct 2, 2009 3:59 pm
Jason ChaffeeOct 2, 2009 4:18 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 4:30 pm
Jorg HeymansOct 3, 2009 5:25 am
JotiOct 3, 2009 6:40 am
JotiOct 3, 2009 6:41 am
Jorg HeymansOct 4, 2009 12:58 pm
Benson MarguliesOct 4, 2009 3:25 pm
Stephen ConnollyOct 4, 2009 11:48 pm
Olivier LamyOct 5, 2009 12:17 am
Jorg HeymansOct 5, 2009 12:31 am
Jorg HeymansOct 5, 2009 12:37 am
Benson MarguliesOct 5, 2009 3:53 am
Stephen ConnollyOct 5, 2009 7:43 am
Michael DonohueOct 5, 2009 8:05 am
Edelson, JustinOct 5, 2009 8:40 am
Jason van ZylOct 5, 2009 8:44 am
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 5, 2009 9:48 am
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 5, 2009 9:54 am
Andrew BayerOct 5, 2009 1:06 pm
Benson MarguliesOct 5, 2009 1:53 pm
Stephen ConnollyOct 5, 2009 2:46 pm
Jorg HeymansOct 6, 2009 10:26 am
Andrew BayerOct 6, 2009 10:36 am
Julien RenautOct 6, 2009 10:50 am
Jorg HeymansOct 6, 2009 1:26 pm
Jorg HeymansOct 6, 2009 1:30 pm
Edelson, JustinOct 6, 2009 1:34 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 6, 2009 2:55 pm
Subject:Re: Migration from java.net
From:Kohsuke Kawaguchi (Kohs@Sun.COM)
Date:Oct 5, 2009 9:48:41 am
List:net.java.dev.hudson.dev

Jorg Heymans wrote:

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Joti <joti@gmail.com> wrote:

to give my two cents: -1 for Google Code. They dont have JIRA, they're not Sun-connected (so Kuhsuke has less possibilities of doing something if anything goes bad or something custom/special is needed) and to me Kenai looks quite ok. And since Hudson has official Sun support, maybe the project will get some more attention from the Kenai makers.

Well I don't follow your passion about Jira, but i guess that is a matter of taste :) I also don't follow your argument about needing a Sun-connected hosting partner. A lot of OSS projects are hosted independent of the company of its creator and most of them are doing just fine without having a guy on the inside that can fix things. As a project you should not rely on one guy only being able to do custom/special things in case something goes wrong, what if Kohsuke is no longer interested/able to work on Hudson at some point ? Are you hoping that the next core hudson contributor is another Sun employee that can pull strings from the inside ?

Just a crazy thought: why not apply for incubating Hudson at Apache, one of the strongest, most independent oss brands of the moment ? That would secure its OSS future for a long time, and since they're using Hudson already (http://ci.apache.org/) it might even attract a host of new developer talent. [[full disclosure: i was a commiter on the Apache Cocoon project a few years ago, so i might be a tiny bit biased myself here]]

Unless I'm mistaken, incubating a project in Apache requires the donation of the code to ASF. That's a whole lot harder to do than just migrating the infrastructure.

Thoughts ? Or has the Kenai project been created already ? :-P

Kenai project has already existed long before this, partly for land grabbing :-), and to host some peripheral repositories, like patched Winstone.