atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
21 earlier messages
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 9:33 am
Robin YANGNov 4, 2010 9:52 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:55 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 9:56 am
Mike KellyNov 4, 2010 10:12 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 10:14 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:17 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 10:24 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:37 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 10:51 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:06 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:08 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 11:09 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:18 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:24 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:39 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:42 am
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:48 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:59 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:00 pm
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 12:04 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:07 pm
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 12:10 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 12:26 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:37 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 12:57 pm
Hugh GlaserNov 4, 2010 1:00 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 1:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 1:23 pm
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 1:40 pm
Mischa TuffieldNov 4, 2010 2:09 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:10 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:11 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 3:24 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 3:27 pm
Melvin CarvalhoNov 4, 2010 3:48 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:32 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:43 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 5:42 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 7:29 pm
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:28 am
Michael HausenblasNov 5, 2010 2:29 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:34 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:37 am
80 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:Kingsley Idehen (kide@openlinksw.com)
Date:Nov 4, 2010 12:07:56 pm
List:org.w3.public-lod

On 11/4/10 12:22 PM, Ian Davis wrote:

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Kingsley Idehen<kide@openlinksw.com> wrote:

On 11/4/10 11:50 AM, Giovanni Tummarello wrote:

its up to clients to really care about the distinction, i personally know of no useful clients for the web of data that will visibly misbehave if a person is mistaken for a page.. so your you can certify to your customer your solution works well with "any" client

Gio,

Keyword: visibly.

Once the Web of Linked Data crystallizes, smart agents will emerge and start roaming etc.. These agents need precision, so ambiguity will cause problems. At this point there will be broader context for these matters. Please don't dismiss this matter, things are going to change quickly, we live in exponential times.

If the success of these agents is predicated on precision then they are doomed to failure.

Success, like beauty, lies in the eyes of the beholder. You and I clearly expect different things from our agents. That's fine and natural. It doesn't negate the need for disambiguation.

History is a great teacher, I am sure people thought the same way in the not too distant past, and today we have:

1. Spam breaking Email (ditto threaded conversations) 2. Data Silos per SaaS application (including all the major social networks) 3. Data Silos per Mobile Device.

By not solving Identity matters at InterWeb scale, we ended up with the problems above. Let's learn something from history. The architecture of the Web is there to be used the right way, lets just use it the right way, it works!

The web is a messy place but it's precisely that messiness that allows it to scale.

Not disputing that.

Anyone building serious web data apps is used to dealing with ambiguity all the time and has strategies for compensating.

Really, and how's your Mail Inbox doing these days? How precisely is relevant data finding you, rather than you finding relevant data?

Linked Data offers a route to higher precision, but in no way is it a panacea or silver bullet.

Nothing man-made is, we are buggy by design. What we can do though, is fix what we know as we travel down the innovation continuum by learning from history.

Regards,