atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
44 earlier messages
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 12:04 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:07 pm
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 12:10 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 12:26 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:37 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 12:57 pm
Hugh GlaserNov 4, 2010 1:00 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 1:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 1:23 pm
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 1:40 pm
Mischa TuffieldNov 4, 2010 2:09 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:10 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:11 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 3:24 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 3:27 pm
Melvin CarvalhoNov 4, 2010 3:48 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:32 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:43 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 5:42 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 7:29 pm
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:28 am
Michael HausenblasNov 5, 2010 2:29 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:34 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:37 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:42 am
William WaitesNov 5, 2010 2:54 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 2:57 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:05 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:12 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:17 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:24 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:34 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:40 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:57 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:59 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 4:02 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 4:15 am
Mischa TuffieldNov 5, 2010 4:47 am
Norman GrayNov 5, 2010 5:11 am
Dave ReynoldsNov 5, 2010 5:38 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 5:52 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 5:57 am
Vasiliy FaronovNov 5, 2010 6:00 am
Vasiliy FaronovNov 5, 2010 6:33 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 7:18 am
David WoodNov 5, 2010 7:18 am
Pat HayesNov 5, 2010 7:27 am
57 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:Michael Hausenblas (mich@deri.org)
Date:Nov 5, 2010 2:29:55 am
List:org.w3.public-lod

Ian,

(trying to keep up with this thread, maybe missed one point or the other)

I'd like to understand on what we can agree here. It seems that having a URI for a thing and another URI for the document describing it is something most people would acknowledge to be useful.

Two questions that come immediately into mind: Who cares? What are the costs and what are the benefits?

First, I'd reckon that a certain number of tools and library developers (incl. Tabulator, RAP, RDB2RDF mapping tools, etc.) will have to care about this in the first place. Given the relative small size of the community compared to the Web at large this seems doable.

Second, as already pointed out, the 303 issue mainly effects setups where the RDF representation is detached from the HTML (such as RDF/XML, Turtle, etc.), which means that the emerging and increasing part of the RDFa-based Linked Data world is not effected per se.

Third, given that we're still a small community and find certain things to be sub-optimal, the cost changing it now is likely less than changing it in, say, 5 years time.

I think I can hence sympathise with your proposal to (carefully) revisit the issue and think about alternatives. Now, having said this, although I think one should contemplate about the 303 issue, I don't agree with your proposed plan ahead; certain items on your list are rather simple to achieve (define the :isDescribedBy, update the LD guide, etc.) others not.

It occurs to me that one of the main features of the Linked Data community is that we *do* things rather than having endless conversations what would be the best for the world out there. Heck, this is how the whole thing started. A couple of people defining a set of good practices and providing data following these practices and tools for it.

Concluding. If you are serious about this, please go ahead. You have a very popular and powerful platform at your hand. Implement it there (and in your libraries, such as Moriarty), document it, and others may/will follow.

Cheers, Michael

From: Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com> Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:22:09 +0000 To: Linked Data community <publ@w3.org> Subject: Is 303 really necessary? Resent-From: Linked Data community <publ@w3.org> Resent-Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:22:46 +0000

Hi all,

The subject of this email is the title of a blog post I wrote last night questioning whether we actually need to continue with the 303 redirect approach for Linked Data. My suggestion is that replacing it with a 200 is in practice harmless and that nothing actually breaks on the web. Please take a moment to read it if you are interested.

http://iand.posterous.com/is-303-really-necessary

Cheers,