atom feed15 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.courier-users[courier-users] Re: Multi-site theory...
FromSent OnAttachments
Sander Holthaus - Orange XLAug 22, 2004 11:11 am
Sam VarshavchikAug 22, 2004 12:07 pm
Sander Holthaus - Orange XLAug 22, 2004 12:37 pm
Robert PfisterAug 22, 2004 8:55 pm
Jerry AmundsonAug 26, 2004 9:03 am
Ben KennedyAug 26, 2004 2:08 pm
Sam VarshavchikAug 26, 2004 3:45 pm
Georg LutzAug 26, 2004 3:48 pm
Ben KennedyAug 26, 2004 4:31 pm
Jacob S. BarrettAug 27, 2004 10:38 am
Jerry AmundsonAug 27, 2004 11:18 am
Sam VarshavchikAug 27, 2004 3:36 pm
Jerry AmundsonAug 28, 2004 8:14 am
Jerry AmundsonAug 28, 2004 9:37 am
Ben KennedyAug 30, 2004 7:03 am
Subject:[courier-users] Re: Multi-site theory (sort of long)
From:Jerry Amundson (jer@pbs.com)
Date:Aug 28, 2004 8:14:11 am
List:net.sourceforge.lists.courier-users

On Friday 27 August 2004 17:35, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Jerry Amundson writes:

On Thursday 26 August 2004 05:44 pm, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Or, it's possible that a fractional T1 between the two offices may be cheaper than a pair of backup low-bandwidth circuits. Except that a backhoe incident in the immediate neighborhood will likely take out both circuits.

I should clarify - it's been mandated that I put a server in the remote location... or else we move to Exchange.

Folks in the remote office, about 25 users all using IMAP via Outlook 2000, were seeing intermitent response degradation, the cause of which I have been unable to pinpoint. The frustration level has gotten pretty high there, so it has been decided they get their own server.

Oh, a fractional T1 between the two offices will be immune to the general hiccups on the Internet. You'll have to get the tricky routing working, but that's going to be the worst of it.

Both ends have full T1's, with IPsec doing the VPN between us. I've strace'd, tcpdump'd, etc. but it's never been clear what causes the hesitation, and of course it never happens consistently. I've always suspected some kind of Outlook-IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE-famd thing, but have been unable to prove anything.

You can still put a server there, and have both servers cross-mount each other over NFS.

But, essentially, the maildirs of all users need to physically exist on both servers to attain redundancy. The Coda suggestion seems worth looking into, though it may make things more complicated than neccesary.

I had also been thinking NFS early on, but over a T1? If I determine T1 bandwidth is adequate, it may simplify things.

jerry