atom feed63 messages in org.isc.lists.dhcp-usersRe: DHCPv6 and MAC Address inclusion
FromSent OnAttachments
10 earlier messages
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 23, 2012 4:22 pm
Ted LemonJan 24, 2012 12:06 am
sth...@nethelp.noJan 24, 2012 12:33 am
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 24, 2012 1:34 am
Simon HobsonJan 24, 2012 3:09 am
perl-listJan 24, 2012 6:27 am
Walter Andrew ScottJan 24, 2012 6:49 am
perl-listJan 24, 2012 6:53 am
Casey DeccioJan 24, 2012 9:33 am
James JalbertJan 24, 2012 9:47 am
perl-listJan 24, 2012 10:10 am
Walter Andrew ScottJan 24, 2012 1:43 pm
Ted LemonJan 24, 2012 2:48 pm
Ted LemonJan 24, 2012 2:52 pm
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 24, 2012 2:55 pm
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 24, 2012 3:01 pm
Ted LemonJan 24, 2012 3:12 pm
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 24, 2012 3:25 pm
José QueirozJan 24, 2012 4:42 pm
perl-listJan 24, 2012 6:39 pm
Alex BlighJan 25, 2012 12:18 am
sth...@nethelp.noJan 25, 2012 1:58 am
Simon HobsonJan 25, 2012 2:05 am
perl-listJan 25, 2012 5:51 am
José QueirozJan 25, 2012 6:22 am
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 8:38 am
perl-listJan 25, 2012 9:26 am
Simon HobsonJan 25, 2012 10:21 am
Michael Dean PughJan 25, 2012 12:00 pm
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 25, 2012 12:22 pm
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 25, 2012 12:23 pm
perl-listJan 25, 2012 12:35 pm
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 12:36 pm
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 12:38 pm
perl-listJan 25, 2012 12:44 pm
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 12:44 pm
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 12:50 pm
perl-listJan 25, 2012 12:54 pm
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 12:55 pm
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 1:02 pm
Rudy ZijlstraJan 25, 2012 1:23 pm
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 25, 2012 4:11 pm
Michael Dean PughJan 25, 2012 5:56 pm
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 9:11 pm
Ted LemonJan 25, 2012 9:12 pm
scot...@trendmicro.comJan 25, 2012 9:20 pm
perl-listJan 26, 2012 9:53 am
Ted LemonJan 26, 2012 2:57 pm
Bjørn MorkJan 27, 2012 12:48 am
Niall O'ReillyJan 27, 2012 3:04 am
3 later messages
Subject:Re: DHCPv6 and MAC Address inclusion
From:José Queiroz (zekk@gmail.com)
Date:Jan 25, 2012 6:22:10 am
List:org.isc.lists.dhcp-users

2012/1/25 Simon Hobson <dhc@thehobsons.co.uk>

José Queiroz wrote:

Hi, sorry if this is a naive view. But, doesn't auto-assignment with

EUID-64 suffixes attends your needs? This way you'll have a fixed IPv6 address, which haves a strong association with the MAC Address, and better, is predictable if you know the MAC address of the interfaces.

it will work for some, but it's not a good idea for public services. Simple example, what if you want to move a service to a different machine ? Using EUID-64 addresses means you either have to change the MAC on the new host to match, or change the DNS and wait while it propagates - with a day or 2 of parallel running while caches expire.

Well, you can work out DNS to reduce this time. And if you have the intention of moving the services, maybe using anycast addresses can solve the problem.

In practice, I suspect we'll start to see a return to using multiple addresses per machine/interface - which at one time was the only way to run multiple web sites on one host. So there may be some scope for using an EUID-64 address for the machine, and additional addresses for the service(s) run on it - but that's a whole new level of management system to sort out.

I think that IPv6 made a move on this direction --- using multiple addresses per machine/interface --- when it explicitly adopted this concept.

I'm not looking forward to applying IPv6 at work - I suffer badly enough with people that won't apply any logic to IPv4, I hate to think what they'll do when let loose with (say) 256 networks of 64k addresses !

Well, you shall never doubt people's ability to create new ways of doing silly things.