atom feed50 messages in org.rubyonrails.railsRe: [ANN] Rails Engines + Login Engine
FromSent OnAttachments
James AdamNov 1, 2005 8:17 am
James AdamNov 1, 2005 9:37 am
James AdamNov 1, 2005 3:56 pm
RobertNov 1, 2005 4:27 pm
Jay LevittNov 1, 2005 7:26 pm
RaminNov 1, 2005 7:29 pm
Scott BeckerNov 1, 2005 7:42 pm
Bill KatzNov 1, 2005 10:44 pm
Tom WardNov 2, 2005 2:11 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 3:05 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 6:00 am
Francois PaulNov 2, 2005 6:14 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 6:25 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 6:45 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 6:48 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 7:02 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 7:09 am
Luke RandallNov 2, 2005 9:51 am
PJ HyettNov 2, 2005 11:04 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 11:17 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 11:49 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 11:52 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 12:00 pm
Edgardo HamesNov 2, 2005 12:27 pm
PJ HyettNov 2, 2005 12:38 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 12:43 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 1:17 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:08 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:48 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:58 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 3:06 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 3:35 pm
Lou VanekNov 7, 2005 2:11 pm
Bruno CelesteNov 7, 2005 2:28 pm
Lou VanekNov 7, 2005 3:09 pm
James AdamNov 8, 2005 12:33 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 12:38 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 2:21 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 2:23 am
Bruno CelesteNov 8, 2005 2:34 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 3:14 am
Bruno CelesteNov 8, 2005 3:34 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 3:41 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 3:45 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 4:07 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 4:10 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 4:50 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 5:15 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 7:42 am
alex blackNov 14, 2005 7:40 pm
Subject:Re: [ANN] Rails Engines + Login Engine
From:Luke Randall (luke@public.gmane.org)
Date:Nov 2, 2005 9:51:00 am
List:org.rubyonrails.rails

Hi

I've been playing around with your new plugin and I like it a lot! Definitely fills a gap that needed filling. Just a couple of things I picked up with the login_engine:

* the docs indicate that one should store a :salt value. However, in the code it looks for a :Salt value. Just a potential point of confusion (it had me going for a while). So one or the other should be changed.

* with the flash messages, they are all stored as flash['mesage']. From what I've seen (scaffold generator, Agile book), the convention is flash[:message], using symbols and not strings. This is an issue as they are not interchangeable. Therefore, if you want to be able to drop in engines and expect them to work they should all use the same. Therefore, I think it should probably be changed to tie in with the (apparent) standard.

I know that at least the flash issue is most likely carried forward from your port of the salted login generator, but thought I'd mention it.

Your work on having drop-in engines actually raises a larger issue (at least for me). With most Rails apps that I develop I have a few standard flash types, such as :notice and :warning. This means that I can distinguish between the two and using CSS display them differently (to reflect the different nature of the message, ie red for warning, green for notice). However, with new engines, the engine author might use different names for the flash messages (such as notice and message in the login engine). Therefore, I think it would be worthwhile to standardise on a few flash message names, so that when you drop in a new engine all the flash messages automatically slot into your layout.

So for example we might have :message for neutral messages, :warning for negative (or error) messages and :notice for postive (or success related) messages. This is obviously more to illustrate the point than being the definitive list of what they should be.

What do you think of this? Do other people handle it in a way that I haven't thought of?

Sorry, I wrote this in a bit of a hurry so it might be somewhat unclear what I mean. If it is please tell me and I'll be happy to try and explain it better.

Luke