atom feed116 messages in org.kde.kde-cafeRE: Locker-room mentality in KDE?
FromSent OnAttachments
23 earlier messages
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 11:31 am
Lauri WattsApr 8, 2002 11:58 am
TinkApr 8, 2002 12:12 pm
Eva BrucherseiferApr 8, 2002 12:13 pm
Aaron J. SeigoApr 8, 2002 12:18 pm
Aaron J. SeigoApr 8, 2002 12:27 pm
TinkApr 8, 2002 12:53 pm
Andy FawcettApr 8, 2002 1:05 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 1:17 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 1:23 pm
Chris HowellsApr 8, 2002 1:30 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 1:34 pm
Aaron J. SeigoApr 8, 2002 1:37 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 1:39 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 1:45 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 1:50 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 1:53 pm
Aaron J. SeigoApr 8, 2002 1:58 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 2:03 pm
Aaron J. SeigoApr 8, 2002 2:09 pm
David McGloneApr 8, 2002 2:22 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 2:24 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 8, 2002 2:34 pm
Waldo BastianApr 8, 2002 2:38 pm
Eva BrucherseiferApr 8, 2002 2:51 pm
Bob ReaApr 8, 2002 5:03 pm
Bob ReaApr 8, 2002 5:06 pm
Bob ReaApr 8, 2002 5:09 pm
Bob ReaApr 8, 2002 5:28 pm
Bob ReaApr 8, 2002 5:34 pm
Neil StevensApr 8, 2002 7:55 pm
Neil StevensApr 8, 2002 7:57 pm
Aaron J. SeigoApr 8, 2002 8:05 pm
Aaron J. SeigoApr 8, 2002 8:09 pm
Bob RaymondApr 8, 2002 8:48 pm
Paul E Ahlquist JrApr 8, 2002 10:36 pm
TinkApr 8, 2002 10:51 pm
sam mulveyApr 8, 2002 10:51 pm
Neil StevensApr 8, 2002 11:04 pm
TinkApr 8, 2002 11:10 pm
Jason WoodApr 8, 2002 11:58 pm
Jason WoodApr 9, 2002 12:21 am
Andy FawcettApr 9, 2002 12:39 am
Philippe FREMYApr 9, 2002 1:24 am
Eray OzkuralApr 9, 2002 2:06 am
Jason WoodApr 9, 2002 2:06 am
Jason WoodApr 9, 2002 2:08 am
Jason WoodApr 9, 2002 2:59 am
Andy FawcettApr 9, 2002 3:10 am
Jason WoodApr 9, 2002 3:32 am
43 later messages
Subject:RE: Locker-room mentality in KDE?
From:Eva Brucherseifer (ev@kde.org)
Date:Apr 8, 2002 2:51:00 pm
List:org.kde.kde-cafe

Philippe FREMY wrote:

Women.kde.org's founders are the ones who set up your own special repository of information, splitting the resources available to people, essentially forking KDE user support. Don't blame the men.

??? forking? splitting?

I am not sure that when I wrote my KDevelop tutorial for beginners where I

could have put it. See: someone unknown of developers write a paper targetted to true beginners. Where should he/she put it?

Ask yourself this question: where are the people that need this tutorial looking for ? The put it there. In this case I would say developer.kde.org (there is a tutorial section) and simple www.kdeveelop.org I am sure you would get 100x more email if you would have done that, because these stuff are really really needed.

Sorry, but you are obviously not very familiar with developer.kde.org. There is a link there, check http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/index.html . It's the second link. And because of that it is completly irrelevant where the tutorial physically relevant.

Same with the KDE2+cvs paper I wrote. It does not interest any developer because you know it all.

The core developer certainly knows cvs, but many poeple don't.

But how are people looking for a kdevelop+cvs tutorial (the starter kit for kde development) suppose to find your tutorial ? How could they guess that it is hidden somewhere in women.kde.org ?

Also this isn't completly hidden, as for the tutorial, also the KDE2+cvs tutorial was announced at the dot and we had a great number of hits. Unfortunately I don't know if there is a link somewhere.

For further information see http://women.kde.org/usage Obviously some people find and use our page.

And by the way - the complete web pages are in CVS and open source. You can reuse the stuff whenever you want, as this is done on any other webpage. Actually noone asked to take anything so far. Feel free to do a start with the tips&tricks section. But don't blame us, because you didn't visit our pages before.

eva

I am pleased to see that the resources you mention are actually very well appreciated if I judge the numbers of emails I get.

As I just said, given the (poor) visibility of women.kde.org, imagine how many more emails you would get if your papers were more public.

exclusionary? Eva? me?

In the sense that I point out, yes. But in no other. KDE-edu is certainly great.

Look at the documentation team. I don't know how things were going before Lauri take the responsibility of the whole thing but my guess is that it was not fantastic. Now, she is the goddess of the documentation. The difference is that she is part of the process, whereas your tutorials are still outside of the main KDE process.

KDE-edu is ritht inside the process though.

But I have the impression that sometimes women are not perceived as important as men and, as I am at it, that edu (KDE-Edu) is not perceived as important as the rest of KDE ("it's just kids stuff" some would say).

You are addressing problems that most of the current KDE community has not: most geeks here don't have kids and don't need user support. So yes, you are not perceived as important as other because you do not contribute to the major interests of this specific community (the hard KDE geek). However, your contributions are invaluable because for this exact reason, because you address another public. You have to defend your territory, just like Lauri imposed that any gui changes in cvs has the word GUI in it. Developer don't care about this, but you care and you must make yourself heard.

I hope we can integrate new people, I hope we can all find our own space and we can all add our own brick to KDE.

Yep. I hope so too. But add it really inside KDE and not in women.kde.org

regards,