atom feed88 messages in net.php.lists.internalsRe: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
FromSent OnAttachments
48 earlier messages
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 9:36 am
Rasmus LerdorfNov 5, 2003 9:45 am
Edin KadribasicNov 5, 2003 9:45 am
Romans MalinovskisNov 5, 2003 9:48 am
Moriyoshi KoizumiNov 5, 2003 9:51 am
Jani TaskinenNov 5, 2003 9:54 am
Jaap van GanswijkNov 5, 2003 10:07 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:12 am
Cesare D'AmicoNov 5, 2003 10:22 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 10:29 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:30 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:36 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 10:37 am
Andrei ZmievskiNov 5, 2003 10:39 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 10:56 am
David EndersonNov 5, 2003 11:03 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 11:11 am
Shane CaraveoNov 5, 2003 11:13 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 12:26 pm
Greg MacLellanNov 5, 2003 12:40 pm
Robert CummingsNov 5, 2003 1:08 pm
David EndersonNov 5, 2003 1:20 pm
Sara GolemonNov 5, 2003 2:41 pm
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 3:00 pm
Wez FurlongNov 5, 2003 4:06 pm
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 5:07 pm
Ard BiesheuvelNov 5, 2003 5:27 pm
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 5:50 pm
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 12:03 am
Stig S. BakkenNov 6, 2003 12:58 am
Kouber SaparevNov 6, 2003 1:25 am
Mike RobinsonNov 6, 2003 3:31 am
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 4:04 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 6, 2003 4:09 am
Alexey TrunyovNov 6, 2003 4:16 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 6, 2003 4:28 am
Sascha SchumannNov 6, 2003 4:30 am
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 5:28 am
Sascha SchumannNov 6, 2003 5:46 am
Stig S. BakkenNov 6, 2003 6:33 am
Subject:Re: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
From:Wez Furlong (we@thebrainroom.com)
Date:Nov 5, 2003 4:06:30 pm
List:net.php.lists.internals

Anyway, it's no biggy and if most people here think it shouldn't be added then that's fine with me.

Thies reminded me of something that should be considered here; we talked about and alternative array syntax for overloaded objects where all the array indices are required in one "chunk" to be able to resolve an overloaded array lookup.

eg: in COM, if you have a 2-Dimensional SafeArray, and you want to lookup an element, you need to provide both dimension offsets at the same time.

$foo = $arr[0][1];

This cannot be acheived with the current breadcumb evaluation used by the engine, as the engine will try to resolve $tmp = $arr[0]; $foo = $tmp[1];

One of the possible solutions was the pascal style array indexing:

$foo = $arr[0,1];

If we overload [] too much, we really will end up with unmaintainable code.

I'm -1 on the alternative array declaration syntax unless we implement the pascal syntax (or something else useful!) for ZE2 OO handlers, in which case I'm -0.

--Wez.