atom feed18 messages in com.redhat.et-mgmt-toolsRe: [et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: Augeas ...
FromSent OnAttachments
David LutterkortApr 17, 2008 1:07 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 17, 2008 7:02 pm
Stephen John SmoogenApr 17, 2008 8:17 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 17, 2008 8:39 pm
Daniel P. BerrangeApr 18, 2008 7:01 am
David LutterkortApr 18, 2008 10:17 am
David LutterkortApr 18, 2008 10:22 am
Richard W.M. JonesApr 20, 2008 2:04 am
Jason EdgecombeApr 20, 2008 6:31 am
David LutterkortApr 20, 2008 11:58 am
Mike MacCanaApr 20, 2008 4:26 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 20, 2008 4:42 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 20, 2008 4:46 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 20, 2008 4:51 pm
David LutterkortApr 20, 2008 5:30 pm
David LutterkortApr 20, 2008 5:33 pm
Richard W.M. JonesApr 21, 2008 2:39 am
Mike MacCanaApr 22, 2008 9:58 pm
Subject:Re: [et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: Augeas - a configuration API
From:David Lutterkort (dlut@redhat.com)
Date:Apr 18, 2008 10:17:44 am
List:com.redhat.et-mgmt-tools

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 12:02 +1000, Mike MacCana wrote:

* create an editor for that format (which handles data - settings, values, parents and children, rather than presentation related info like lines and paragraph)

At its heart, Augeas is a tool to make writing such editors easy, easier than starting from scratch for every format. Of course, there's also benefit for users if they can edit many config files with the same tool instead of having a separate tool for each config file.

Using 'widely varying formats' is not 'valuable'.

I was a little oblique .. I meant 'that config data is stored in text files is valuable', mostly to contrast that with some other approaches that have been proposed in the past.

It's an unfortunate accident that wastes everyone's time with various horrible bandaid solutions

I think we're all in agreement that the situation is far from the best imaginable. That's why I chose "Augeas"[1] as the name for this ;)

David

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augeas

"In Greek mythology, Augeas ... was King of Elis ... He is best known for his stables, which housed the single greatest number of cattle in the country and had never been cleaned"