atom feed2 messages in org.freedesktop.lists.avahi[avahi] wide-area browsing errors
FromSent OnAttachments
Nathan MerrittOct 19, 2007 11:51 am
Lennart PoetteringOct 24, 2007 8:21 am
Subject:[avahi] wide-area browsing errors
From:Lennart Poettering (lenn@poettering.net)
Date:Oct 24, 2007 8:21:18 am
List:org.freedesktop.lists.avahi

On Fri, 19.10.07 14:51, Nathan Merritt (gnm at the-merritts.net) wrote:

Hey folks,

I recently set up wide-area DNS-SD. I established a domain for bonjour, enabled dynamic updates and installed dnsextd all per http://www.dns-sd.org/ServerSetup.html. I then configured a number of Linux hosts running avahi to browse this domain, though I understand that avahi doesn't yet support wide-area publishing. When browsing, I get the following output:

$ avahi-browse -a service_type_browser failed: DNS failure: NXDOMAIN

I'm not sure what part of the setup I missed, dig has no problem resolving the bonjour domain. I've looked online already, and have had no luck coming up with a definite solution.

If you want to use "-a" with avahi-browse you need to add proper _services._dns-sd._udp IN PTR records for all service types.

If you don't have these records you have to explicitly ask for a specific service type. i.e. "avahi-browse _http._tcp" or suchlike.

See the DNS-SD docs for more info.

Lennart