atom feed5 messages in com.redhat.fedora-python-devel-listRe: distribute vs setuptools
FromSent OnAttachments
Toshio KuratomiOct 8, 2009 2:55 pm
Neal BeckerOct 9, 2009 4:35 am
Gael VaroquauxOct 11, 2009 10:17 am
David MalcolmOct 16, 2009 3:10 pm
Toshio KuratomiOct 31, 2009 10:06 am
Subject:Re: distribute vs setuptools
From:Gael Varoquaux (gael@normalesup.org)
Date:Oct 11, 2009 10:17:30 am
List:com.redhat.fedora-python-devel-list

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 02:55:33PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

Since I'm the current setuptools maintainer and have had issues trying to get bugs fixed in upstream setuptools before, I'm inclined to do this as well but the drawbacks are nothing to ignore. So what do other people think of our doing this as well? If we don't do this, an alternative might be to plan on packaging distribute0.6 and distribute0.7 parallel installable. Then we can port packages to use distribute instead of setuptools when its available and submit those patches to upstream projects.

My gut feeling is +1. I have had long running gripes with both some bit of the code in setuptools, and the impossibility to improve them.

Gaël