atom feed3 messages in org.apache.tcl.rivet-devRE: Mod_tcl for Apache 1.3.x
FromSent OnAttachments
Reem...@nokia.comOct 30, 2002 5:49 am
Reem...@nokia.comOct 30, 2002 6:08 am
David N. WeltonOct 30, 2002 9:49 am
Subject:RE: Mod_tcl for Apache 1.3.x
From:Reem...@nokia.com (Reem@nokia.com)
Date:Oct 30, 2002 5:49:24 am
List:org.apache.tcl.rivet-dev

Well, they do similar things, yes. cgi.tcl is pure tcl, which means

it runs anywhere CGI does. Rivet is done in C, with a persistant interpreter, so it runs much faster. We have also aimed to make it as simple as possible to get started with, so that anyone can easily create web pages with it.

You mean to say that apache-rivet builds TCL interpreter with the apache-server
which means that interpreter is loaded when server is started and it stays in
memory as long as server is up ? If that is the case, then what is the
difference b/w apache-rivet and mod_tcl ?

Reema.

-----Original Message----- From: ext David N. Welton [mailto:dav@dedasys.com] Sent: 28. October 2002 20:55 To: Bangar Reema (NIC/Hyderabad) Subject: Re: Mod_tcl for Apache 1.3.x

<Reem@nokia.com> writes:

I would appreciate it greatly if you could at least CC the rivet-dev list - I am more than happy to answer you, and help out, but:

1) it would be nice to have these answers archived, in order that they be of benefit to others in the future.

2) I have noticed that you write during hours when I am asleep:-) You might get answers faster from other people.

Thanks for your reply and patience. I still have some doubts. what is the difference between cgi.tcl and apache-rivet?

Apache Rivet is built into the Apache web server, and written in C, obviously. In theory, it could be ported to other server platforms, or even made to work as a CGI, but it's a decent bit of coding (although certainly not impossible).

Presently i am able to generate HTML pages using cgi.tcl without changing Apache web server. The problem I am facing here is that to process tcl script, TCL interpreter gets loaded for each script and makes HTML page access very slow for the page which has frames.

Right... that's why people might wish to use a system like Rivet.

Can cgi.tcl and apache-rivet be compared?

Well, they do similar things, yes. cgi.tcl is pure tcl, which means it runs anywhere CGI does. Rivet is done in C, with a persistant interpreter, so it runs much faster. We have also aimed to make it as simple as possible to get started with, so that anyone can easily create web pages with it.

Does that help some?

As a plug for my consulting business:-) I will also note that as of a week from now, I am available for contracting work, should you need something done such as: porting Rivet to a "pure CGI" environment, porting cgi.tcl to work with Rivet, or anything else.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in these projects otherwise, but I have a lot of stuff I want to get done!