atom feed50 messages in org.rubyonrails.railsEngines Rule!
FromSent OnAttachments
James AdamNov 1, 2005 8:17 am
James AdamNov 1, 2005 9:37 am
James AdamNov 1, 2005 3:56 pm
RobertNov 1, 2005 4:27 pm
Jay LevittNov 1, 2005 7:26 pm
RaminNov 1, 2005 7:29 pm
Scott BeckerNov 1, 2005 7:42 pm
Bill KatzNov 1, 2005 10:44 pm
Tom WardNov 2, 2005 2:11 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 3:05 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 6:00 am
Francois PaulNov 2, 2005 6:14 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 6:25 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 6:45 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 6:48 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 7:02 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 7:09 am
Luke RandallNov 2, 2005 9:51 am
PJ HyettNov 2, 2005 11:04 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 11:17 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 11:49 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 11:52 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 12:00 pm
Edgardo HamesNov 2, 2005 12:27 pm
PJ HyettNov 2, 2005 12:38 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 12:43 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 1:17 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:08 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:48 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:58 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 3:06 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 3:35 pm
Lou VanekNov 7, 2005 2:11 pm
Bruno CelesteNov 7, 2005 2:28 pm
Lou VanekNov 7, 2005 3:09 pm
James AdamNov 8, 2005 12:33 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 12:38 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 2:21 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 2:23 am
Bruno CelesteNov 8, 2005 2:34 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 3:14 am
Bruno CelesteNov 8, 2005 3:34 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 3:41 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 3:45 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 4:07 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 4:10 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 4:50 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 5:15 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 7:42 am
alex blackNov 14, 2005 7:40 pm
Subject:Engines Rule!
From:alex black (enig@public.gmane.org)
Date:Nov 14, 2005 7:40:18 pm
List:org.rubyonrails.rails

Seriously. Between basic plugins and full-fledged engines, we've got all the modularity we need... now if we could get some agreement in APIs between ActiveRBAC and ModelSecurity... :)

Yo, a bit late, sorry, been busy:

ModelSecurity: we want it. I tried to talk to bruce perens, he wasn't rude but he didn't open right up, either - so I think we'll end up taking the ModelSecurity ideas & code and running with it. Bruce - correct me if I'm wrong, hey, hopefully so.

I'm just catching up on the whole engines mushroom cloud, and dhur, sorry, what do people not LOVE about this idea? It was nearly the entire point of binarycloud, so it's exactly what I'm looking for. I read this:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/articles/2005/11/11/why-engines-and- components-are-not-evil-but-distracting

And I think it's extremely polite and nice and the point of view of a man building applications for a products company, not a client services company :) Also - if you have an idea for a web app, say a newfangled social-pizza-ordering app with lots of AJAX - your 'core idea' rarely includes an authentication and authorization system, credit card processing layer, and all the other mundane crap you need to build it right™. What you need to support those core ideas are "best practices" components that you know to be tried and true, that have views, and in some cases even have their own CSS and images.

ActiveRBAC, for example. (yay!) https://activerbac.turingstudio.com Standard Payment tools (Tobias pretty much has this) Embeddable Typo! Embeddable Forums! Embeddable Gallery!

etc... everyone that is currently putting out full-rails-apps might be able to make them accessible in a way that they can be used everywhere for all kinds of projects. Fantastic!

So! ENGINES RULE! I will be reading more, and saying more.

Also, a big public thanks to Tobias (you rule): he is helping very much with our efforts to expand ActiveMerchant with support for TrustCommerce, who is sponsoring our development (which will be released MIT), free for all...

If you need a good US credit card processor and would like to use ActiveMerchant + TrustCommerce, let me know... and if you call TrustCommerce about this be nice and tell them I sent you - I don't work for them, I just like them, and I HATE verisign, those evil bastards.

nite,

_alex

-- alex black, founder the turing studio, inc.

510.666.0074 root@public.gmane.org http://www.turingstudio.com

2600 10th street, suite 635 berkeley, ca 94710