atom feed10 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.translate-develRe: [Translate-devel] Looking at tran...
FromSent OnAttachments
Stuart PrescottMar 25, 2013 8:58 pm
Leandro RegueiroMar 27, 2013 1:23 am
Julen Ruiz AizpuruMar 27, 2013 1:33 am
Dwayne BaileyMar 27, 2013 2:05 am
Dwayne BaileyMar 27, 2013 2:29 am
Alexander DupuyMar 27, 2013 3:50 pm
Stuart PrescottApr 1, 2013 6:30 pm
Stuart PrescottApr 1, 2013 6:33 pm
Stuart PrescottApr 1, 2013 6:34 pm
Stuart PrescottApr 1, 2013 6:35 pm
Subject:Re: [Translate-devel] Looking at translate-toolkit 1.10
From:Leandro Regueiro (lean@gmail.com)
Date:Mar 27, 2013 1:23:00 am
List:net.sourceforge.lists.translate-devel

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:58 AM, Stuart Prescott <stu@debian.org> wrote:

Dear translate-toolkit developers,

Firstly, thanks for releasing a new and shiny translate toolkit -- wonderful work! In coercing the new version into Debian packages, I've found a few things I need to talk to you about. I assume I will have more to ask about in the future, but this looks like a sufficiently long list to be getting on with right now.

cheers Stuart

** langmodels **

The location of the .lm files in the package is a little mysterious to me. They have been shipping in translate/share/langmodels with in the python module namespace (they probably should be in /usr/share/translate or similar instead, but it's not too bad as it is). I'm not sure whether it is changes to setup.py or distutils, but they are now ending up in "share/langmodels" within the python module namespace. The changes to get_abs_data_filename() make me think that it is intended although probably in "/usr/share/langmodels" not within the module namespace. I'm unconvinced that translate-toolkit should take over "share" which is very a generic word in the python module namespace so I will try to push them off into /usr/share instead... but I will obviously need to contemplate carefully how to move them and how to test that change.

Jakub Wilk pointed out that these lm files have traditionally had encoding problems and I can see that we have the same problem with (at least) the polish lm file in translate toolkit [1].

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/703942

This led me to wonder if (a) translate-toolkit should perhaps import newer language models from upstream [2] (b) translate-toolkit could make use of the code in this library (there are of course sometimes advantages in competing implementations), and (c) the debian packages could/should use the libexttextcat-data package directly [3].

[2] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/libexttextcat/tree/langclass/LM [3] http://bugs.debian.org/703943

Your thoughts on how we could proceed with that (in the long term) would be most welcome. Doing both (a) and (c) such that ttk follows upstream closely and the data is deduped seems reasonable from my naïve point of view (and (c) is much easier if (a) happens!).

Could you also confirm whether share/stoplist-en is the work of translate- toolkit authors (and GPL'd) or whether it, like the lm files, has been imported from elsewhere? (it appeared as a largely complete file in svn r8066 but that doesn't tell me if it was just developed outside the VCS or if it has been borrowed)

** documentation **

The overhaul of your documentation system is huge. It's evident that quite a lot of work has gone into this. With such a large change, there are always going to be some minor niggles...

AFAIK the most of the docs just were converted from wiki to reStructuredText.

Is there a source file somewhere from which tbx_levels_structure.png was generated? It looks like the sort of line art that was created using a vector drawing tool (inkscape? libreoffice?) and not something where the PNG was drawn directly. It would be great if the preferred form for modification (such as an svg, xcf or odt file) were included in the source tree.

I created that image using Dia and exported to PNG in order to attach it to the wiki. Now that the docs are in reStructuredText it makes sense to have the original document in the VCS too. I will have to see if I can find the original or create another document for this.

Is there some further source for docs/_themes/sphinx-bootstrap/ somewhere? In particular the embedded copy of a compressed jquery.js is problematic without source code. Your tarball and your documentation is explicitly released under the GPL, so you need to include the preferred form for modification (which is not the compressed javascript!) for the files you ship. For the time being I'm not sure if it's best to just revert to the "default" sphinx theme or to strip out that jquery and replace it with one from the Debian packages.

I also see the following errors when building the documentation:

reading sources... [ 4%] api/misc Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/sphinx/ext/autodoc.py", line 321, in import_object __import__(self.modname) File "…/translate-toolkit/translate/misc/xmlwrapper.py", line 30, in <module> basicfixtag = ElementTree.fixtag AttributeError: type object 'ElementTree' has no attribute 'fixtag'

I assume this is a know problem with ttk and python 2.7 [4], but I'm not sure yet if it's actually an issue or not for any real use of translate-toolkit. Thoughts?

[4] http://bugs.debian.org/644256

reading sources... [ 4%] api/search Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/sphinx/ext/autodoc.py", line 321, in import_object __import__(self.modname) File "…/translate-toolkit/translate/search/indexing/PyLuceneIndexer1.py", line 30, in <module> import PyLucene ImportError: No module named PyLucene

This module won't be used on Debian because we've only got the newer lucene so I guess this isn't an issue.

reading sources... [ 6%] api/storage Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/sphinx/ext/autodoc.py", line 321, in import_object __import__(self.modname) File "…/translate/storage/subtitles.py", line 43, in <module> from gaupol.subtitle import Subtitle ImportError: No module named gaupol.subtitle

I have the python-aeidon package installed and all the import calls for aeidon modules in storage/subtitles.py succeed if I run them in an interactive python shell, so I'm not sure what is failing when sphinx is using this module.

There are also a large number of sphinx warnings and a handful of errors generated when building the docs. They aren't fatal and I guess cleaning them up is on your todo list already (let me know if this is news to you and I can give you the output and look at some of them for you).

** manpages **

The ManHelpFormatter hasn't quite kept up with the transition to rst. It has always generated some slightly squiffy groff in its hyphens (I've got a patch that I will send you that solves that for options), but it is also now letting through some constructs like "..note" which will leave man very confused. I'll see if there's a way of filtering those to something suitable. I'll forward you some patches as soon as I've got something that isn't reimplementing all of rst2man.

** licence **

In your source files you are quite clear about the licence being GNU GPL v2 or any later version but in README.rst and docs/license.rst it just says "GPL" without saying which GPL (GNU GPL? Nethack GPL? v2+? v3 only?). Perhaps a link to the GPL online and/or mention of the COPYING file would be appropriate too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Own the Future-Intel&reg; Level Up Game Demo Contest 2013 Rise to greatness in Intel's independent game demo contest. Compete for recognition, cash, and the chance to get your game on Steam. $5K grand prize plus 10 genre and skill prizes. Submit your demo by 6/6/13. http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel_levelupd2d