atom feed5 messages in org.apache.xerces.generalRE: ?? SAX tips ??
FromSent OnAttachments
Reza BagherianNov 8, 2000 9:37 am
Lydia AucoinNov 8, 2000 3:04 pm
Kamlesh PatelNov 9, 2000 1:37 am
Kamlesh PatelNov 9, 2000 1:43 am
Andy ClarkNov 9, 2000 6:30 pm
Subject:RE: ?? SAX tips ??
From:Kamlesh Patel (kaml@ivisgroup.com)
Date:Nov 9, 2000 1:43:26 am
List:org.apache.xerces.general

Hi Lydia,

The thing is for large XML documents DOM is not a good solution as it is very very slow. So SAX is the thing we need to go for. But u r right from the coding perspective DOM makes life very easy! So one has to compromise!

Kam

-----Original Message----- From: Lydia Aucoin [mailto:lauc@lucent.com] Sent: 08 November 2000 23:05 To: xerc@xml.apache.org Subject: Re: ?? SAX tips ??

Hi Reza,

It is actually DOM parsing that produces a hierarchical object through which you navigate using the DOM calls (such as getFirstChild( ), getPreviousSibling( ), etc.)

If you use a SAX (Simple API for XML) parser that you download, it will make calls to your implementation of the SAX interface methods. The methods you site below, {startElement( ~), characters(~), etc.} are SAX parser callback methods. You are free to implement these SAX methods however you want.

Just wanted to clarify, Lydia

Reza Bagherian wrote:

I am writing a java program to parse a document using SAX.

The output of the parsing process is a huge hierarchical java object. I am looking for tips in handling large documents with many embeded objects. Instead of having a huge startElement(), character(), and endElement methods, i am looking for ways to break down based on a more object oriented paradigm.

please do let me know, If you have any tips on SAX to accomplish the goal.

Thanks, Reza