atom feed18 messages in com.redhat.et-mgmt-toolsRe: [et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: Augeas ...
FromSent OnAttachments
David LutterkortApr 17, 2008 1:07 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 17, 2008 7:02 pm
Stephen John SmoogenApr 17, 2008 8:17 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 17, 2008 8:39 pm
Daniel P. BerrangeApr 18, 2008 7:01 am
David LutterkortApr 18, 2008 10:17 am
David LutterkortApr 18, 2008 10:22 am
Richard W.M. JonesApr 20, 2008 2:04 am
Jason EdgecombeApr 20, 2008 6:31 am
David LutterkortApr 20, 2008 11:58 am
Mike MacCanaApr 20, 2008 4:26 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 20, 2008 4:42 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 20, 2008 4:46 pm
Mike MacCanaApr 20, 2008 4:51 pm
David LutterkortApr 20, 2008 5:30 pm
David LutterkortApr 20, 2008 5:33 pm
Richard W.M. JonesApr 21, 2008 2:39 am
Mike MacCanaApr 22, 2008 9:58 pm
Subject:Re: [et-mgmt-tools] ANNOUNCE: Augeas - a configuration API
From:David Lutterkort (dlut@redhat.com)
Date:Apr 20, 2008 5:30:31 pm
List:com.redhat.et-mgmt-tools

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 09:42 +1000, Mike MacCana wrote:

Is there a possibility that Augeas could encourage, or actively patch, applications to read their configuration directly from Augeas format files?

As I said before, there's little point in making apps use the same mechanism to just read a config file as the one used by a config editor to read and write it.

A distribution has never encouraged apps to standardize on a config file format. ?There's a real opportunity here.

The road is littered with config projects that got run over by their own ambition. In sys mgmt, premature modeling is the root of all evil.

For Augeas, my ambition is to make it a tool that is useful for modifying configuration data as it exists today, and be applicable in as many situations as possible. Once we get it there, we can think about grander things; until then, being able to use Augeas with unmodified applications is imperative.

David