atom feed16 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.courier-users[courier-users] Re: Enhancement request
FromSent OnAttachments
Jon NelsonAug 4, 2004 8:41 am
Eduardo RoldanAug 4, 2004 9:52 am
Sam VarshavchikAug 4, 2004 3:26 pm
Bill TaroliAug 4, 2004 4:49 pm
Sam VarshavchikAug 4, 2004 5:35 pm
Bill TaroliAug 4, 2004 8:26 pm
Norm YatesAug 5, 2004 7:57 am
Bowie BaileyAug 5, 2004 9:20 am
Jon NelsonAug 6, 2004 7:22 am
Norm YatesAug 6, 2004 10:44 am
Norm YatesAug 6, 2004 11:12 am
Bowie BaileyAug 6, 2004 12:02 pm
Norm YatesAug 6, 2004 1:45 pm
Norm YatesAug 6, 2004 2:38 pm
Sam VarshavchikAug 6, 2004 3:41 pm
Sam VarshavchikAug 6, 2004 3:43 pm
Subject:[courier-users] Re: Enhancement request
From:Sam Varshavchik (mrs@courier-mta.com)
Date:Aug 4, 2004 5:35:26 pm
List:net.sourceforge.lists.courier-users

Bill Taroli writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Jon Nelson writes:

I recently gave Dovecot a try. It's not nearly as featureful (or seemingly as stable) as courier-imap, but it has one very important distinction:

It is *wicked* fast.

It made me think - indexes are what makes dovecot so fast. What would it take to add similar indexing capabilities to courier-imap?

So, if you want to evaluate indexing you need to take a reasonably popular IMAP client, log its IMAP commands, then show how indexing will help. Arbitrary benchmarks won't cut it, and adding indexes for the benefit of a lesser-used IMAP tool will come at the expense of greater overhead for the rest of the IMAP clients, which makes no sense.

I can't speak for him, but perhaps he's referring to server-side searches?

And how would the server telepathically know what the client is going to search for, and thus prepare a suitable index in advance?