atom feed8 messages in org.apache.maven.usersRe: Local plugins?
FromSent OnAttachments
Peter DonaldDec 9, 2002 4:01 am
Nathan CoastDec 9, 2002 4:13 am
Peter DonaldDec 9, 2002 2:05 pm
Jason van ZylDec 9, 2002 2:12 pm
di...@multitask.com.auDec 9, 2002 2:46 pm
Brian EwinsDec 10, 2002 2:30 am
Brian EwinsDec 10, 2002 2:52 am
Jason van ZylDec 10, 2002 8:46 am
Subject:Re: Local plugins?
From:Brian Ewins (Bria@btinternet.com)
Date:Dec 10, 2002 2:52:02 am
List:org.apache.maven.users

Brian Ewins wrote:

di@multitask.com.au wrote:

Hi Peter

You could use the maven.xml to 'download' and install a plugin from a repository if it doesn't exist locally. Or you could ship the plugin along with the maven.xml and do the install as part of the maven.xml.

[snip]

Please correct me if I'm wrong - after running into this problem on b7, I've been using the 'build with maven' approach on b8 and haven't retested the issue since. I had no replies to questions about this at the time.

Just reading this morning's IRC log, I see Jason has partly answered this:

1:06:35 AM jason in response to peter donalds request i'm now working on a maven plugin artifact 1:07:00 AM jason so that project managers/leaders can declare deps on a maven plugin and it will be installed transparently for the user. 1:08:05 AM jason but i need to clean more stuff up to make that work.

Got a question about this...'project managers/leaders can declare deps on a maven plugin' - I have to assume this is somewhere central in the maven install, not on a per-project basis? Otherwise you'd end up with eg project 'A' accidentally and irreproducibly building when it depends on a plugin the user had previously declared as a dependency of project 'B'? Or that we'd have to declare all the plugins we mean to use in a project (which takes some of the value away from the centralization in maven)

-Baz