atom feed9 messages in org.freebsd.freebsd-usbUSB HID parser
FromSent OnAttachments
Chuck RobeyMay 14, 2008 9:08 pm
Milan ObuchMay 14, 2008 9:31 pm
Chuck RobeyMay 15, 2008 1:19 am
Wilkinson, AlexMay 15, 2008 1:50 am
Milan ObuchMay 15, 2008 4:48 am
Torfinn IngolfsenMay 15, 2008 7:29 am
Chuck RobeyMay 17, 2008 6:56 pm
Chuck RobeyMay 17, 2008 7:17 pm
Peter JeremyMay 18, 2008 12:30 pm
Subject:USB HID parser
From:Milan Obuch (free@dino.sk)
Date:May 14, 2008 9:31:22 pm
List:org.freebsd.freebsd-usb

On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Chuck Robey wrote:

I wrote a parser, and I don't know if anyone might be interested in it. I didn't write it as something to be used in a driver ... I wrote it as a learning aid, for someone who's trying to learn that horrible USB HID spec. It's quite verbose, most especially if you use it in GUI mode (I wrote it in Python, and it's got a integral Tkinter GUI. In Python mode, it's got help info available on every output it has, and displays the data it's parsing in a way taht makes it fairly easy to have the USB HID parser on your knee, while you slowly step the parser thru the input data.

The input data, I originally wrote it to use the output of Kai Wang's USB HID parser/descriptor dumper, but it's more verbose, and (like I said) is perfectly set up to let you follow the parsing, item by item, from the orignal hex to the output.

The Non-GUI is somewhat less verbose, but this is the first time I;ve let it be seen, and if you think you'd like to see it changed, I'm not against adding a special mode for a small group of users, even just one user if it seems like a likely-enough suggestion.

I called it parsetool. I know that's a fairly dumb name )(there are one or two projects already oout with that name), come up with a better one, and I'll gladly use it (if it's not overly silly).

Write me if you want it, I'll mail it to you, the tarball is fairly small (even with all those tables, it's only about 25K compressed) and installation couldn't really get any easier, just make sure you have a working python of 2.3 or later, with a working Tkinter.

Could you eventually make a port from it and submit it this way? I think it could be usefull for many... Regards, Milan