atom feed730 messages in org.kde.kde-cafeRe: http://www.linuxandmain.com/comme...
FromSent OnAttachments
63 earlier messages
Martijn KlingensApr 13, 2002 4:57 am
Eduardo SanchezApr 13, 2002 7:02 am
Eduardo SanchezApr 13, 2002 7:11 am
Eduardo SanchezApr 13, 2002 7:20 am
Roberto AlsinaApr 13, 2002 10:08 am
Charles SamuelsApr 13, 2002 10:39 am
Eduardo SanchezApr 13, 2002 11:10 am
Eduardo SanchezApr 13, 2002 11:14 am
Eduardo SanchezApr 13, 2002 11:33 am
Sagie SokolovApr 13, 2002 11:46 am
Daniel CassidyApr 13, 2002 12:05 pm
Eduardo SanchezApr 13, 2002 12:54 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 13, 2002 1:05 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 13, 2002 1:52 pm
Navindra UmaneeApr 13, 2002 2:11 pm
Andreas PourApr 13, 2002 2:20 pm
Andreas PourApr 13, 2002 2:48 pm
Sagie SokolovApr 13, 2002 2:51 pm
Andreas PourApr 13, 2002 3:21 pm
Charles SamuelsApr 13, 2002 3:24 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 13, 2002 3:27 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 13, 2002 3:30 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 13, 2002 3:41 pm
Roberto AlsinaApr 13, 2002 3:47 pm
Navindra UmaneeApr 13, 2002 3:49 pm
Andreas PourApr 13, 2002 3:56 pm
Sagie SokolovApr 13, 2002 3:58 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 13, 2002 4:02 pm
Andreas PourApr 13, 2002 4:02 pm
Martijn KlingensApr 13, 2002 4:44 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 13, 2002 4:53 pm
Roberto AlsinaApr 13, 2002 5:03 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 13, 2002 5:13 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 13, 2002 5:30 pm
Roberto AlsinaApr 13, 2002 5:36 pm
Roberto AlsinaApr 13, 2002 5:37 pm
Martijn KlingensApr 13, 2002 5:45 pm
Andreas PourApr 13, 2002 5:45 pm
Daniel CassidyApr 13, 2002 5:49 pm
Roberto AlsinaApr 13, 2002 5:59 pm
Neil StevensApr 13, 2002 6:03 pm
Roberto AlsinaApr 13, 2002 6:05 pm
Navindra UmaneeApr 13, 2002 6:22 pm
Eduardo SanchezApr 13, 2002 6:27 pm
Roberto AlsinaApr 13, 2002 6:29 pm
Timothy R. ButlerApr 13, 2002 7:08 pm
617 later messages
Subject:Re: http://www.linuxandmain.com/comment/ed040702.html
From:Roberto Alsina (rals@kde.org)
Date:Apr 13, 2002 3:47:26 pm
List:org.kde.kde-cafe

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Timothy R. Butler wrote:

You have a point there, however I think it's obvious why they did not create the Israeli state in the U.S. - say - is that that clearly is not the Jewish homeland. I also bring to your attention the fact that the Israeli state was in a place that had already been occupied by the British, so it wasn't like if I decided today that part of the U.S. needed to become a Native American state.

I suppose if someone comes now and says he is a canaanite, Israel will close shop and move away, right?

Why not ask Israel to be created in Egypt? That was their homeland for a long time. Or Babylon?

Oh, you may say, god said this place was ours. Right, that is an argument that will win the minds of the average orthodox muslim. I suppose that if I say god told me I can have Manhattan I should just stake a claim.

Then, if the current occupants disagree with me, I should engage against them in an extremely barbaric war, as described in the bible, and I will be right, because god chose me.

Then in 2000 years, my great-great-great-great-children can proceed to settle Harlem.

The main question here is simply if the Jews deserve to have a place of their own. After being scattered since A.D. 70, the recreation of the Jewish state solves this problem for the first time in almost 2,000 years.

The thing is: someone comes and says "this land you thought was your country for X centuries is now their country", someone is going to get really pissed.

You may say "but it was a british protectorate"! Guess what? They probably ALSO wanted the british to go away in the first place!

Again see above. Obviously I'm not blaming the Sunni Moslems for the things the Shi'ite Moslems do.

Let me see, are the iranians sunni, or are the iraqis sunni? Both could be accused of supporting terrorism (hell, have been! ;-)

aside, however biased the media may, in your eyes, be against conservative Christians and Jews, the bias against conservative Mulsims is so extreme that people now widely associate Muslims with evil.

Many also associate conservative Christians and Jews with evil. How many abortion clinic bombers do you think exist versus how often conservative Christians are assumed to be "one of those guys." People often associate a group with that group's radical elements - it certainly isn't something specific against the Muslims.

Fanatic religion is bad in itself. Once you start believing there is a higher power that controls your actions, it is a simple step to blame said higher power for the shit you do, be him allah or jehovah.

The only way to be responsible is to cut the crap and do it. No god required, needed or even ambitioned.

necessary. If anyone can show that I quoted the Qu'ran out of context, I would more then happily apologize. Challenge: Find one statement in the Judeo-Christian Scriptures that says to kill those who disagree with you (and by that I do not mean the wars recorded in the Old Testament, but general statements as I did with the Qu'ran).

Excuse me? Why is an allegedly direct command from god to kill and enslave a whole nation because of their religion any better?

Some fraction of the muslims think they are in the exact same position as Moses&co were: commanded by god to dislodge the enemy from their sacred land. Last time the nation of Israel was in that position they weren´t precisely squeamish.

The Church of Rome did exactly that, but certainly you won't find many (if any) Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, or even Roman Catholic that agrees with that.

Well, I seem to recall that puritan protestants used to burn people because they considered them witches. I suppose that qualifies as a disagreement they got killed for.

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this mailinglist are the personal opinions of the author and do not represent KDE or the author's employer.