atom feed95 messages in org.blender.bf-committersRe: [Bf-committers] Collada importer/...
FromSent OnAttachments
29 earlier messages
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 8:22 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 8:29 am
Domino MaramaJan 7, 2012 9:04 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 9:07 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 9:10 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 9:23 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 9:47 am
skotiJan 7, 2012 10:16 am
Gaia ClaryJan 7, 2012 10:34 am
KnappJan 7, 2012 10:34 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 11:15 am
Alexandr KuznetsovJan 7, 2012 11:33 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 12:04 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 12:06 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 12:08 pm
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 12:13 pm
Sergey KurdakovJan 7, 2012 12:32 pm
SebastianJan 7, 2012 1:22 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 2:34 pm
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 3:09 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 3:24 pm
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 3:36 pm
Campbell BartonJan 7, 2012 6:45 pm
skotiJan 8, 2012 1:57 am
François T.Jan 8, 2012 3:24 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 8, 2012 3:31 pm
angj...@gulftel.comJan 8, 2012 4:34 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 8, 2012 7:16 pm
Campbell BartonJan 8, 2012 8:39 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 8, 2012 9:37 pm
Kalle-Samuli RiihikoskiJan 8, 2012 9:55 pm
Campbell BartonJan 8, 2012 9:57 pm
François T.Jan 9, 2012 12:27 am
Ton RoosendaalJan 9, 2012 2:43 am
SebastianJan 9, 2012 3:09 am
Domino MaramaJan 9, 2012 3:59 am
François T.Jan 9, 2012 5:30 am
Peter AmstutzJan 9, 2012 5:38 am
Domino MaramaJan 9, 2012 5:51 am
Juan LinietskyJan 9, 2012 6:07 am
SebastianJan 9, 2012 7:22 am
Domino MaramaJan 9, 2012 7:53 am
spatialJan 9, 2012 2:52 pm
SebastianJan 9, 2012 3:25 pm
Antony RiakiotakisJan 9, 2012 3:33 pm
Campbell BartonJan 9, 2012 3:37 pm
Campbell BartonJan 9, 2012 4:20 pm
Ton RoosendaalJan 10, 2012 2:15 am
johannes amorosaJan 10, 2012 3:29 am
spatialJan 10, 2012 3:57 am
16 later messages
Subject:Re: [Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout
From:François T. (fran@gmail.com)
Date:Jan 8, 2012 3:24:05 pm
List:org.blender.bf-committers

I'm probably a bit too late for the fight and tried to read all the thread for this (there is several email with different subjects). I do understand the complexity with collada, and yet I don't understand all the issue you mention, but i'll trust you for this. Two years ago I wrote a simple LUA DAE importer with my two cents of programming knowledge for a propriatry engine we had in my company. I did it myself because the engineer who did it in C was having somehow same troubles as you guys seems to have with openCollada (yet I don't knwo OC at all). And his importer was doing a terrible job. I had nothing to do with complex bones or amarture so I wouldn't know about that. But my simple LUA importer were dealing with scene, camera, lights, obj, mesh, uv, material and textures and I it was tested with Blender exporter at the time which was a python script, Max, XSI and Maya and worked fine in all the cases, so I don't get the issue with vertices order or whatever (or maybe I just not remember). I couldn't wrote stuff in C and was only scripting in LUA at the time, so it was easy for me to write a parser. I think the engineer fail to understand the basics of the collada structure at first, and since I couldn't do any C, all his code was useless to me and couldn't change or enhance it as I wished. And I also know that collada is so flexible that so many software insert there own technics and not always the right way. But I think that if this I/O was pure blender python based code (no dependencies, no external code), more people (like me) would be able to develop or provide patches rather than C which is only for a certain elite. I remember asking at the time why doing this I/O with C in the first place, I can't remember the reason exactly.

Anyway w/o collada (even though its not working as good as we wish right now) Blender will get some doors closed to interoperate with other software, and I know I'm probably the only one in the community who like that, but its true. 3DS ... :/ .... obj ... very limited... FBX, great format for sure (even though I'm not a big fan of it, but the industry love it) we only have output with it ! no import and eula issue with it as Campbell said... I have read Alembic somewhere in this thread mention by someone I can't remember the name. I want to remind him this is a bake I/O format, no edition possible afterwards So question is : if we take of collada, what other better I & O format do we have instead ?

so +1000 for a python, dependency less from scratch... one feature at the time with clear, simple and well commented code ! I'm sure many people will be able to help in the community. But until we have a I/O addon working for basic features as a complete scene (no animation, no bones, no morph), please pretty please keep it :/

F.