atom feed5 messages in com.redhat.ext3-usersRe: inode limit ?
FromSent OnAttachments
Douglas BruntonOct 25, 2001 9:37 am
Bryan-TheBS-SmithOct 25, 2001 9:49 am
Andreas DilgerOct 25, 2001 10:13 am
Stephen C. TweedieOct 25, 2001 12:12 pm
Jiri KrejcikOct 26, 2001 3:27 am
Subject:Re: inode limit ?
From:Bryan-TheBS-Smith (
Date:Oct 25, 2001 9:49:37 am

Douglas Brunton wrote:

27 gig ext3 / partition. The problem that I am experiencing is this: If I create more than (about) 3.5 million distinct files on the partition, touch, mkdir, cp and all other file creation methods complain that there is no available space on the disk.

Let's see here, 27GB w/1 node per 8KB (default) = 3.5M inodes.

Sounds like normal operation to me. ;-PPP

A df shows me that the partition is only 65% full.

What does "df -i" give you? That lists inodes free. I have run into cases where /var was only 37% full, but 100% inodes were used.

I tried this on an install that used ext2 but was in all other ways exactly the same, and received the same behavior, which leads me to believe it's a kernel limitation, not a problem with the filesystem.

Or, again, normal operation.

In the 2.2 kernel there was a way to adjust the max-inodes at runtime by adjusting the values in /proc/sys/fs/max-inodes file, but I don't see this file with the 2.4.7-10 kernel that shipped with 7.2 (and I can't create it, even as root).

I was under the impression that on Ext2 (and Ext3), inodes were pre-allocated? And you must specify additional inodes as mkfs-time???

I assume any /proc/sys/fs/max-inodes value may be the maximum number the kernel could handle over all filesystems period???

Is there a way to adjust these values at runtime, or do I need to recompile or upgrade the kernel?

I think your filesystem needs to be reformatted with additional inodes. Unless, of course, newer Ext2/Ext3 versions can re-allocate them? [ Note, I'm just another user and don't understand much about the underlying filesystems ]

-- TheBS

---------------------------------------------------------------- Web site defacements are as much of a national security risk as inner city kids spray painting. There is nothing of value, and nothing that can't be fixed with a little re-paint. You'd have to have the equivalent stupidity of someone parking an F-18 in downtown LA. Even then, the only damage would be a new scheme! The US government wants life imprisonment for such "terrorism."