atom feed21 messages in org.freedesktop.lists.avahi[avahi] Avahi daemon dies on certain ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Iván Sánchez OrtegaMar 21, 2006 8:32 am.png
Sebastien EstienneMar 21, 2006 8:53 am
Iván Sánchez OrtegaMar 21, 2006 9:08 am
Sebastien EstienneMar 21, 2006 9:23 am
Iván Sánchez OrtegaMar 21, 2006 9:34 am
Sjoerd SimonsMar 21, 2006 10:12 am
Trent LloydMar 21, 2006 2:31 pm
Lennart PoetteringMar 31, 2006 3:50 pm
Marc KrochmalMar 31, 2006 4:57 pm
Lennart PoetteringMar 31, 2006 5:06 pm
Ross BurtonApr 1, 2006 1:27 am
Iván Sánchez OrtegaApr 1, 2006 3:30 am
Lennart PoetteringApr 1, 2006 4:20 am
Lennart PoetteringApr 1, 2006 4:39 am
Iván Sánchez OrtegaApr 1, 2006 5:18 am
Sebastien EstienneApr 1, 2006 5:46 am
Lennart PoetteringApr 1, 2006 6:29 am
Iván Sánchez OrtegaApr 7, 2006 4:32 am
Lennart PoetteringApr 7, 2006 5:49 am
Jim GettysApr 7, 2006 12:44 pm
Marc KrochmalApr 7, 2006 4:21 pm
Subject:[avahi] Avahi daemon dies on certain hostnames
From:Lennart Poettering (lenn@poettering.net)
Date:Mar 31, 2006 5:06:49 pm
List:org.freedesktop.lists.avahi

On Fri, 31.03.06 16:29, Marc Krochmal (ma@apple.com) wrote:

Hmm. While Avahi shouldn't die when such a host name appears on the network it's primarily a bug in the axis cameras. They shouldn't send hostnames with invalid UTF-8 characters in the first place. However, I don't know what to do in such a case. Ignore the hostanem entirely because it isn't valid UTF-8? Treat is as ISO8859-1 if it doesn't validate as UTF8?

I think i will simply write a message to syslog and ignore the RRs which contains such bogus host names. What do you think?

Couldn't you just allow the UTF-8 hostname but log a warning message? UTF-8 is a valid encoding scheme for mDNS in general, just in practice, hostnames are traditionally restricted to letter, digits, hyphens so as to make them easy to type into command-line interfaces.

The problem is not with host names that are proper UTF8 names. Those are supported properly right now. The problem appears with host names that contain characters that are not valid in UTF8. Avahi doesn't check for this right now, but the IPC system we use (DBUS) does and runs amok.

(At least that's what I understood)

See

http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-programs/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/character-encoding.html

for more information about valid and invalid UTF8 sequences.

Lennart