atom feed41 messages in net.java.dev.hudson.devRe: Migration from java.net
FromSent OnAttachments
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 2:03 pm
Stephen ConnollyOct 2, 2009 2:22 pm
Andrew BayerOct 2, 2009 2:33 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 2:41 pm
Dean YuOct 2, 2009 2:50 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 3:02 pm
Alan HarderOct 2, 2009 3:09 pm
Stephen ConnollyOct 2, 2009 3:16 pm
Frederic JeanOct 2, 2009 3:26 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 3:36 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 3:45 pm
Andrew BayerOct 2, 2009 3:57 pm
R. Tyler BallanceOct 2, 2009 3:59 pm
Jason ChaffeeOct 2, 2009 4:18 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 2, 2009 4:30 pm
Jorg HeymansOct 3, 2009 5:25 am
JotiOct 3, 2009 6:40 am
JotiOct 3, 2009 6:41 am
Jorg HeymansOct 4, 2009 12:58 pm
Benson MarguliesOct 4, 2009 3:25 pm
Stephen ConnollyOct 4, 2009 11:48 pm
Olivier LamyOct 5, 2009 12:17 am
Jorg HeymansOct 5, 2009 12:31 am
Jorg HeymansOct 5, 2009 12:37 am
Benson MarguliesOct 5, 2009 3:53 am
Stephen ConnollyOct 5, 2009 7:43 am
Michael DonohueOct 5, 2009 8:05 am
Edelson, JustinOct 5, 2009 8:40 am
Jason van ZylOct 5, 2009 8:44 am
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 5, 2009 9:48 am
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 5, 2009 9:54 am
Andrew BayerOct 5, 2009 1:06 pm
Benson MarguliesOct 5, 2009 1:53 pm
Stephen ConnollyOct 5, 2009 2:46 pm
Jorg HeymansOct 6, 2009 10:26 am
Andrew BayerOct 6, 2009 10:36 am
Julien RenautOct 6, 2009 10:50 am
Jorg HeymansOct 6, 2009 1:26 pm
Jorg HeymansOct 6, 2009 1:30 pm
Edelson, JustinOct 6, 2009 1:34 pm
Kohsuke KawaguchiOct 6, 2009 2:55 pm
Subject:Re: Migration from java.net
From:Kohsuke Kawaguchi (Kohs@Sun.COM)
Date:Oct 2, 2009 4:30:49 pm
List:net.java.dev.hudson.dev

R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

During this period, plugin downloads and updates were unavailable, new users weren't able to try out Hudson, and committers weren't able to push changes. Furthermore, because of a problematic code in Hudson, this outage rendered Hudson installations in the wild unconfigurable [1].

As the "twitter and IRC" guy dealing with a lot of random "OMG WHAT'S WRONG WITH JAVA.NET" messages referencing #Hudson, I'm glad movement is happening on this. Today alone there's been at least 7-8 frustrated twitterers referencing the issues Hudson's been having; as far as project evangelism and getting positive words out there, Java.net has definitely been a hindrance as of late.

As a starting point of the discussion, I suggest the following plan:

- Move Subversion repository to Kenai [2]. I already have a cloned repository (via svnsync), and we know the people who manage Kenai, so they should be able to import it.

This is a great first move in my opinion, have you considered allowing for Anonymous SVN mirrors in the same fashion that some other large projects offer (Mono, FreeBSD, etc). Such that we might be able to point non-committers to jp.svn.hudson-ci.org or eu.svn.hudson-ci.org as their more local/preferred SVN repository for doing source builds, etc (which if they became committers, they could just `svn switch`)? Just a thought.

Yes, in fact the read-only SVN mirror is already set up and it's just waiting for the relevant DNS change to take effect.

- Downloads and update center metadata from dlc.sun.com, mirrored from the java.net Maven repository. This is a highly-available clustered servers that Sun uses for everything from Solaris to JDK, NetBeans to OpenOffice.

Fantastic! +1

- Bug tracker to http://issues.hudson-ci.org/ that we run by ourselves.

Another +1 on this, in my humble opinion, the barrier to entry as far as getting issues from users has been a notable struggling point for getting direct feedback from the community but also for the more casual developer (particularly with Collabzilla, I'm assuming you intend on using JIRA?)

I view this ultimately as a great move for us as the community around Hudson, the lower the barriers and frustrations are with interacting with the project itself are, the easier it will be in the future to "sell" new-comers on the power and value of running Hudson.

I hereby volunteer spurios freetime I have on the weekends to help with any migration that needs helping.