atom feed10 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.translate-develRe: [Translate-devel] Looking at tran...
FromSent OnAttachments
Stuart PrescottMar 25, 2013 8:58 pm
Leandro RegueiroMar 27, 2013 1:23 am
Julen Ruiz AizpuruMar 27, 2013 1:33 am
Dwayne BaileyMar 27, 2013 2:05 am
Dwayne BaileyMar 27, 2013 2:29 am
Alexander DupuyMar 27, 2013 3:50 pm
Stuart PrescottApr 1, 2013 6:30 pm
Stuart PrescottApr 1, 2013 6:33 pm
Stuart PrescottApr 1, 2013 6:34 pm
Stuart PrescottApr 1, 2013 6:35 pm
Subject:Re: [Translate-devel] Looking at translate-toolkit 1.10
From:Alexander Dupuy (alex@mac.com)
Date:Mar 27, 2013 3:50:31 pm
List:net.sourceforge.lists.translate-devel

Stuart wrote:

Could you also confirm whether share/stoplist-en is the work of translate- toolkit authors (and GPL'd) or whether it, like the lm files, has been imported from elsewhere? (it appeared as a largely complete file in svn r8066
but that doesn't tell me if it was just developed outside the VCS or if it has been borrowed)

Dwayne replied:

This arrived with poterminology written by Alex Dupuy, so we'll need to check with him on the authorship and license.

This file was my own creation, based on research and experimentation that I did
(I did collect a number of stopword lists from various places around the
internet, but they were more inspiration than source). I am also responsible
for the rather obscure syntax in the file (although I am quite glad I did
document it in some detail -
http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/translate-toolkit/en/latest/commands/poterminology_stopword_file.html)
- I can only offer my apologies, and say that it grew somewhat organically, and
that at least it is simpler than a Sendmail configuration file :-)

My feeling about these sorts of configurable/tuning files is that explicitly
stating the copyright within them misses the point - they are intended to be
adapted for the use of particular projects - there really is no way to
distribute them in non-source form in any case. I tend to prefer to keep things
simple and leave them in the public domain, even though I know that the concept
of public domain is not globally applicable. Still, in this case where the file
is just a bunch of English words with some not-quite-random punctuation right
before them, I don't see much benefit to an explicit license on its contents.

But if anybody feels that they want to put an explicit license into it, lines
beginning with '#' are comments in the file, and I hereby give my permission to
anyone to do so, in the spirit of the old AT&T /bin/true (see
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/humor/ATT_Copyright_true.html).

@alex

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Own the Future-Intel® Level Up Game Demo Contest 2013 Rise to greatness in Intel's independent game demo contest. Compete for recognition, cash, and the chance to get your game on Steam. $5K grand prize plus 10 genre and skill prizes. Submit your demo by 6/6/13. http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel_levelupd2d