atom feed50 messages in org.rubyonrails.railsRe: [ANN] Rails Engines + Login Engine
FromSent OnAttachments
James AdamNov 1, 2005 8:17 am
James AdamNov 1, 2005 9:37 am
James AdamNov 1, 2005 3:56 pm
RobertNov 1, 2005 4:27 pm
Jay LevittNov 1, 2005 7:26 pm
RaminNov 1, 2005 7:29 pm
Scott BeckerNov 1, 2005 7:42 pm
Bill KatzNov 1, 2005 10:44 pm
Tom WardNov 2, 2005 2:11 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 3:05 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 6:00 am
Francois PaulNov 2, 2005 6:14 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 6:25 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 6:45 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 6:48 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 7:02 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 7:09 am
Luke RandallNov 2, 2005 9:51 am
PJ HyettNov 2, 2005 11:04 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 11:17 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 11:49 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 11:52 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 12:00 pm
Edgardo HamesNov 2, 2005 12:27 pm
PJ HyettNov 2, 2005 12:38 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 12:43 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 1:17 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:08 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:48 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:58 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 3:06 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 3:35 pm
Lou VanekNov 7, 2005 2:11 pm
Bruno CelesteNov 7, 2005 2:28 pm
Lou VanekNov 7, 2005 3:09 pm
James AdamNov 8, 2005 12:33 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 12:38 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 2:21 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 2:23 am
Bruno CelesteNov 8, 2005 2:34 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 3:14 am
Bruno CelesteNov 8, 2005 3:34 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 3:41 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 3:45 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 4:07 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 4:10 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 4:50 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 5:15 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 7:42 am
alex blackNov 14, 2005 7:40 pm
Subject:Re: [ANN] Rails Engines + Login Engine
From:James Adam (jame@public.gmane.org)
Date:Nov 2, 2005 12:00:06 pm
List:org.rubyonrails.rails

Hi Randal:

* the docs indicate that one should store a :salt value. However, in the code it looks for a :Salt value. Just a potential point of confusion (it had me going for a while). So one or the other should be changed.

Yeah - the CamelCase options in LoginEngine are now :rails_style, please grab the latest copy from the SVN repository. This does make the movie somewhat outdated, but the docs do reflect the latest code behaviour. Apologies for this minor hiccup *embarassed*

* with the flash messages, they are all stored as flash['mesage']. From what I've seen (scaffold generator, Agile book), the convention is flash[:message], using symbols and not strings. This is an issue as they are not interchangeable. Therefore, if you want to be able to drop in engines and expect them to work they should all use the same. Therefore, I think it should probably be changed to tie in with the (apparent) standard.

I agree, completely, and the change will be made. You're right, I was just keen to get the LoginEngine "out", so I didn't make a lot of the changes I could've to improve the style. If anyone wants to submit a .diff in the meantime, I'm more than happy to fold it into the code - one of the main motivations for me behind moving from generators to Engines is letting the community inspect, criticise and of course update code we're all likely to use at some point.

I think it would be worthwhile to standardise on a few flash message names, so that when you drop in a new engine all the flash messages automatically slot into your layout.

Another excellent point - when you're dropping in people's [r]html code, you're taking a big leap of faith that their layouts will be sensible, good DIV ids and CSS class names will be used, and probably a whole heap more.

The first (and possibly most important) step would be flesh out the documentation in the LoginEngine so it leads by example and clearly explains what it might ever place in the flash, and also ensuring that any styling it uses is sane and/or clearly explained.

Anyone want to help out with that?

- james