in kdepim/kabc there is a new address book API for KDE. It is meant as
replacement for libkab (in kdelibs/kab). The new API should solve most
of the problems of the old one. I propose to do the following:
1.) Fix remaining problems of the new API (I need your input here :-)
2.) Move new API to kdelibs.
3.) Adapt applications to use the new API.
Please have a look at the new API and send me your comments.
Key features of the new API:
- Value based interface, addressbook entry data is implicitly shared.
- Address book entries are identified by a unique id, which can be used
as a reference.
- vCard backend (RFC 2425).
- Locking mechanism to support concurrent access to the address book by
multiple processes, including notification on change of addressbook by
- Dialog for selecting address book entries, supports mouse and
keyboard selection, supports automatic name completion.
- GUI client for creating, viewing and modifying address book data.
This is aimed at developers not end users.
- Tool for converting data written with libkab to new format.