atom feed50 messages in org.rubyonrails.railsRe: [ANN] Rails Engines + Login Engine
FromSent OnAttachments
James AdamNov 1, 2005 8:17 am
James AdamNov 1, 2005 9:37 am
James AdamNov 1, 2005 3:56 pm
RobertNov 1, 2005 4:27 pm
Jay LevittNov 1, 2005 7:26 pm
RaminNov 1, 2005 7:29 pm
Scott BeckerNov 1, 2005 7:42 pm
Bill KatzNov 1, 2005 10:44 pm
Tom WardNov 2, 2005 2:11 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 3:05 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 6:00 am
Francois PaulNov 2, 2005 6:14 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 6:25 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 6:45 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 6:48 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 7:02 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 7:09 am
Luke RandallNov 2, 2005 9:51 am
PJ HyettNov 2, 2005 11:04 am
Bruno CelesteNov 2, 2005 11:17 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 11:49 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 11:52 am
James AdamNov 2, 2005 12:00 pm
Edgardo HamesNov 2, 2005 12:27 pm
PJ HyettNov 2, 2005 12:38 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 12:43 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 1:17 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:08 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:48 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 2:58 pm
RaminNov 2, 2005 3:06 pm
James AdamNov 2, 2005 3:35 pm
Lou VanekNov 7, 2005 2:11 pm
Bruno CelesteNov 7, 2005 2:28 pm
Lou VanekNov 7, 2005 3:09 pm
James AdamNov 8, 2005 12:33 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 12:38 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 2:21 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 2:23 am
Bruno CelesteNov 8, 2005 2:34 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 3:14 am
Bruno CelesteNov 8, 2005 3:34 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 3:41 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 3:45 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 4:07 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 4:10 am
Lou VanekNov 8, 2005 4:50 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 5:15 am
James AdamNov 8, 2005 7:42 am
alex blackNov 14, 2005 7:40 pm
Subject:Re: [ANN] Rails Engines + Login Engine
From:Bruno Celeste (brun@public.gmane.org)
Date:Nov 2, 2005 6:25:19 am
List:org.rubyonrails.rails

Thank you to answer my question! I think you are right. With a method like Engines.start, you let the choice to developer, so I completely agree with this approch.

Also, if I understand well, the controller,view.. in the plugins place are loaded before the traditionnal app/views|controllers etc.. so, to overwrite a method you have to change it in the traditionnal place. It is good when I want to change a behavior in an existing plugin, but if I want to overwrite a method which is in the core app, it won't work.. It would be good to overwrite method in this sense.. For example, without change any line of the typo core project, I could customize views, controllers etc.. I think, it is more logic, maybe not :)

I don't know if I'm clear :D

2005/11/2, James Adam:

It's certainly possible to automatically start all the Engines, but the issue is that with the current Rails plugin-loading mechanism, this process might happen before other plugins havae loaded... so if an Engine depends on a plugin (which will almost certainly be the case for some of the Engines I have planned), there will be load problems....

From another perspective, it's good to have some mechanism of control for exactly which parts of a system are loaded during development, so I wouldn't want to lose the ability to selectively use individual Engines.

If I can come up with a reasonably simple dependencies mechanism for plugins, then it should be possible to have engines start automatically as a default. What I might add in the interim is an Engines.start_all method, or possible Engines.start (with no arguments), which will start all of the engine plugins it finds. How does that sound?

- james

On 11/2/05, Bruno Celeste