atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
5 earlier messages
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:23 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:27 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:38 am
William WaitesNov 4, 2010 8:44 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:50 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:53 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 8:56 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:58 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:06 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:07 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:10 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:13 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:17 am
bill...@planet.nlNov 4, 2010 9:20 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:22 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:25 am
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 9:33 am
Robin YANGNov 4, 2010 9:52 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:55 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 9:56 am
Mike KellyNov 4, 2010 10:12 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 10:14 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:17 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 10:24 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:37 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 10:51 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:06 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:08 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 11:09 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:18 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:24 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:39 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:42 am
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:48 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:59 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:00 pm
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 12:04 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:07 pm
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 12:10 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 12:26 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:37 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 12:57 pm
Hugh GlaserNov 4, 2010 1:00 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 1:14 pm
96 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:Patrick Durusau (patr@durusau.net)
Date:Nov 4, 2010 10:37:14 am
List:org.w3.public-lod

David,

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 13:24 -0400, David Wood wrote:

On Nov 4, 2010, at 13:17, Patrick Durusau wrote:

<snip>

But curious if you can point to numbers on support for 303s and http-range-14? Might have enough flexibility but if not widely supported, so what?

Sure. Both Persistent URLs (purlz.org, purl.org, purl.fdlp.gov and others)
support http-range-14 via 303 responses. DOIs (doi.org) also depend on 303s.

Sure, but those aren't numbers are they? Important places (I don't usually cite articles other than by DOIs for commercial sources), but that isn't indicative of widespread adoption.

Yes?

Compare to the adoption of Apache webservers for example?

The issue that seems to be understated in this discussion is whether something
should be abandoned on the Web because it is not used by "enough" people. I
claim (to the contrary) that something 'useful' need not be 'popular' to be
important.

Sure, lots of things aren't "popular" that are important.

Personally I think Akkadian and Sumerian parsers (my background in ANE languages) are important even though they are not popular.

But, when talking about language adoption (which is the real issue, does the W3C TAG dictate the language everyone must use?) then numbers (popularity) really do matter.

You may think that Esperanto was important, but it never was "popular."

I would rather please large numbers of users than the W3C TAG any day. But that's just a personal opinion.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

Another Word For It (blog): http://tm.durusau.net Homepage: http://www.durusau.net Twitter: patrickDurusau Newcomb Number: 1