atom feed112 messages in org.freebsd.freebsd-stableRe: Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(
FromSent OnAttachments
54 earlier messages
Claus GuttesenJan 14, 2009 9:22 am
Pete FrenchJan 15, 2009 7:35 am
Robert WatsonJan 15, 2009 7:48 am
Pete FrenchJan 15, 2009 7:58 am
Robert WatsonJan 15, 2009 8:04 am
Pete FrenchJan 15, 2009 9:19 am
Robert WatsonJan 15, 2009 9:49 am
John BaldwinJan 15, 2009 2:05 pm
Pete FrenchJan 16, 2009 4:20 am
Pete FrenchJan 16, 2009 4:35 am
Chagin DmitryJan 16, 2009 5:08 am
Pete FrenchJan 16, 2009 5:34 am
Chagin DmitryJan 16, 2009 5:47 am
Robert WatsonJan 16, 2009 5:51 am
Pete FrenchJan 16, 2009 6:09 am
Pete FrenchJan 16, 2009 6:14 am
Robert WatsonJan 16, 2009 6:16 am
Pete FrenchJan 16, 2009 7:40 am
Pete FrenchJan 16, 2009 9:38 am
Kris KennawayJan 18, 2009 3:47 am
Michel TalonJan 18, 2009 4:21 am
dick hoogendijkJan 18, 2009 9:15 am
Claus GuttesenJan 18, 2009 10:47 am
Pete FrenchJan 19, 2009 3:39 am
Pete CarahJan 19, 2009 5:24 am
Chagin DmitryJan 19, 2009 5:25 am
Pete FrenchJan 19, 2009 5:33 am
Pete FrenchJan 19, 2009 7:20 am
Pete FrenchJan 19, 2009 8:08 am
Pete FrenchJan 19, 2009 8:20 am
Kris KennawayJan 19, 2009 1:10 pm
Pete CarahJan 19, 2009 1:59 pm
Mark LinimonJan 19, 2009 2:33 pm
Pete CarahJan 19, 2009 8:03 pm
Doug BartonJan 21, 2009 10:31 pm
Kris KennawayJan 23, 2009 7:58 am
Cian HughesJan 25, 2009 4:12 pm
Robert WatsonJan 29, 2009 2:38 pm
Pete FrenchFeb 8, 2009 5:11 am
Stefan LambrevFeb 8, 2009 7:11 am
cpghostFeb 8, 2009 9:09 am
Mike TancsaFeb 8, 2009 12:28 pm
Guy HelmerFeb 12, 2009 10:16 am
Guy HelmerFeb 13, 2009 5:26 am
Stefan LambrevFeb 15, 2009 11:35 am
Mike TancsaFeb 17, 2009 5:10 pm
Robert WatsonFeb 18, 2009 2:06 am
Robert WatsonFeb 21, 2009 3:47 pm
aneethFeb 23, 2009 10:02 pm
Robert WatsonFeb 24, 2009 1:31 pm
8 later messages
Subject:Re: Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(
From:Pete Carah (pe@altadena.net)
Date:Jan 19, 2009 5:24:32 am
List:org.freebsd.freebsd-stable

Kris writes:

You and anyone else seeing performance problems should try to work through the advice given here:

> [1]http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/Help_my_system_is_slow.pdf

Well, all the people in this thread have noticed that WITH NO CONFIG CHANGES f rom configs that worked fine in the past, their systems are very slow and/or locking up (mi ne are both) with the stable branch sometime (I noticed it sometime in December, but it got worse with the release.) Most were OK in October; mine (I think) were OK in late November - may narrow t hings down? Two of my systems that lock up have no internal visibility when they do (Soekris 4801's r outing; the only time-intensive things running are routing (done in irq context) and pflog. The se run with 60+ meg ram free.) These are complete lockups, though I did manage to get a ps out of my laptop last night by waiting 20 _minutes_ for it to start (!). This is not a generic perfo rmance problem. The laptop had 55 minutes of cpu time in the softdepflush thread after being up about an h our and 10 mins; this might give a hint. I didn't spot LL/RL state threads at the same time bec ause I didn't know to. Now I do. BTW - the same ps showed 8 or so user-space procs in R state wi th NO cpu time; the kernel was hogging all of it for over an hour. Firefox did indeed trigger this one as someone else noted. A soekris doing onl y routing+nat has no such excuse... At least PHK was nice enough to note the watchdog in another thread :-)

-- Pete