atom feed1 message in com.googlegroups.professional-phpSessions
FromSent OnAttachments
PankajJan 21, 2008 5:32 am
Subject:Sessions
From:Pankaj (pana@gmail.com)
Date:Jan 21, 2008 5:32:24 am
List:com.googlegroups.professional-php

Hi,

My site works on sessions. Currently when a user logs in, I store all information in a database table. Whenever the user does something, I check the database to see if the session is active. If so, I update the date and time and then update the other tables. If the seesion is not active, I ask him to enter his password again. A cron job runs every 30 mins to clean up the inactive sessions.

The problem with this approach is that it puts a huge load on the database server as for every activity I have to check one table and based on its value, I perform other operations. What could be a more effective way of handling this ? I cannot rely on the session file created when I start a session because if a user closes the browser window without logging out, I should be able to mark that session as closed.

Thanks