atom feed5 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.courier-imapRe: [Courier-imap] Wrong quota display
FromSent OnAttachments
Luis Hernán OteguiMar 4, 2008 8:54 am
Sam VarshavchikMar 4, 2008 4:08 pm
Luis Hernán OteguiMar 5, 2008 4:16 am
KrystianMar 5, 2008 8:45 am
Michael BoweMar 5, 2008 2:53 pm
Subject:Re: [Courier-imap] Wrong quota display
From:Luis Hernán Otegui (luis@gmail.com)
Date:Mar 5, 2008 4:16:32 am
List:net.sourceforge.lists.courier-imap

Sam:

2008/3/4, Sam Varshavchik <mrs@courier-mta.com>:

Luis Hernán Otegui writes:

Sometimes, when a user logs in, the webmail displays a space usage of, say, 90%, which is the real disk usage of the user. If the user deletes any mail (no matter the size), his quota usage drops violently to, say, 22%. This leads the user to the false security of having enough space on disc as to keep receiving mail, when he's really close to fill up his disc quota. I'm currently giving 500 MB to each user, so it's clearly not a problem of the quota being too little.

The quota reported by Courier-IMAP is not disk quota, but rather the calculated "soft" quota that's manually tracked by Courier-IMAP, which may not be anywhere the actual disk usage quota, for a variety of reasons, such as the contents of the Trash folder.

If you want to use Courier-IMAP's "soft" quotas, you cannot also use a hard, kernel-based disk quota. For that matter, you should not be using filesystem quotas with Courier-IMAP at all, for various reasons, and use Courier-IMAP's soft quotas exclusively.

I think I've mis-explained the issue. I'm actually using soft quotas, enforced by Postfix with its VDA patch, not filesystem quotas. What I ment when I mentioned the percentages are merely cyphers which I've calculated by hand, to check against the web-supplied quota values.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll check the trash folder usage for those users. However, I can't understand the sudden drop and posterior rise of the soft-quota usage. If you could clarify this issue, I'll be very thankful.

Thanks,

Luis

------------------------------------------------- GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You... Linux Registered User #448382. When I grow up, I wanna be like Theo...