atom feed12 messages in org.freebsd.freebsd-usbfinal usb question
FromSent OnAttachments
Chuck RobeyJun 8, 2008 2:44 pm
Hans Petter SelaskyJun 8, 2008 7:31 pm
Chuck RobeyJun 8, 2008 9:02 pm
Hans Petter SelaskyJun 8, 2008 9:09 pm
Chuck RobeyJun 9, 2008 2:02 am
Alfred PerlsteinJun 9, 2008 4:00 am
Chuck RobeyJun 9, 2008 5:31 am
Xiaofan ChenJun 9, 2008 5:37 am
Markus BruefferJun 9, 2008 12:37 pm
Markus BruefferJun 9, 2008 1:38 pm
Hans Petter SelaskyJun 9, 2008 5:58 pm
Subject:final usb question
From:Hans Petter Selasky (hsel@c2i.net)
Date:Jun 8, 2008 9:09:43 pm
List:org.freebsd.freebsd-usb

On Sunday 08 June 2008, Chuck Robey wrote:

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

Hi Chuck,

On Sunday 08 June 2008, Chuck Robey wrote:

Hans, this is the big question, requires more thought, so if you don't have enough time on hand, give this a skip for a while. I'm CC'ing this to the FreeBSD-USB list, it's conceivable that I might get lucky there, too.

This replaces my last usb question, because (even though I think the answer to that one confirms the utter insanity of the people who wrote the USB-HID spec), I have absolute confirmation of the fact that I cannot, in situations where the report descriptor has multiple sections ID'd by multiple report IDs, force the USB peripheral to send me the report ID that makes the best sense, and I must be satisfied with whatever the device sends me. That's ridiculous, but I wrote down the reference, just so I could look back at it and confirm to myself that I wasn't dreaming any of this.

As a better illustration of that, my tablet has report IDs 7, 8, and 9. ID# 7 is the only one that matches well, but the device manufacturer has set it up to respond ONLY with report ID# 9. If I _could_ change that, I surely would, and I spent a LOT of time investigating until I absolutely found hard confirmation of the fact that I can't. If you get lucky and have a mfr sending all of the report ID's, you then can toss out the ones you don't like, but if they only send one (as in my case), well, you're screwed. What a stupid spec!

You mean if you can set another USB configuration ?

That's what I'm saying SHOULD be possible, but it isn't.

There will soon be a utility that can do this, so that you can run:

usbconfig -u ugen0 -c 1

for example to select configuration index 1 for your device. Please note that there will be one ugen device for every USB device present in the future! And I'm in the future :-)

--HPS