atom feed57 messages in org.xwiki.usersRe: [xwiki-users] [xwiki-devs] [Propo...
FromSent OnAttachments
Ecaterina ValicaMay 10, 2010 6:39 am
Guillaume LerougeMay 10, 2010 7:01 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 10, 2010 7:07 am
Thomas MortagneMay 10, 2010 8:21 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 13, 2010 1:57 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 18, 2010 2:03 am
Guillaume LerougeMay 18, 2010 8:08 am
Denis GervalleMay 18, 2010 8:29 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 19, 2010 3:23 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 19, 2010 3:39 am
Denis GervalleMay 19, 2010 6:52 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 19, 2010 7:33 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 20, 2010 9:18 am
Guillaume LerougeMay 20, 2010 9:21 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 21, 2010 10:51 am
Alex BuseniusMay 21, 2010 11:42 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 21, 2010 10:57 pm
Denis GervalleMay 22, 2010 1:31 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 26, 2010 6:48 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 27, 2010 12:57 am
Denis GervalleMay 27, 2010 1:26 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 31, 2010 7:53 am
Ecaterina ValicaMay 31, 2010 7:54 am
Denis GervalleJun 1, 2010 12:03 am
Ecaterina ValicaJun 1, 2010 3:54 am
Ecaterina ValicaJun 3, 2010 9:09 am
Denis GervalleJun 4, 2010 12:42 am
Ecaterina ValicaJun 4, 2010 9:54 am
Alex BuseniusJun 4, 2010 10:57 am
Ecaterina ValicaJun 4, 2010 11:23 am
Raluca StavroJun 4, 2010 11:33 am
Raluca StavroJun 4, 2010 11:36 am
Alex BuseniusJun 4, 2010 12:05 pm
Denis GervalleJun 4, 2010 3:53 pm
Ecaterina ValicaJun 7, 2010 1:22 am
Ecaterina ValicaJun 7, 2010 1:50 am
Denis GervalleJun 7, 2010 2:24 am
Ecaterina ValicaJun 7, 2010 8:00 am
Ecaterina ValicaJun 8, 2010 2:19 am
Denis GervalleJun 8, 2010 3:46 am
Raluca StavroJun 8, 2010 4:44 am
Ecaterina ValicaJun 8, 2010 6:41 am
Denis GervalleJun 8, 2010 8:14 am
14 later messages
Subject:Re: [xwiki-users] [xwiki-devs] [Proposal] Rights Management UI
From:Denis Gervalle (dg@softec.lu)
Date:May 22, 2010 1:31:26 am
List:org.xwiki.users

Hi Caty,

This one is simpler and more easy to understand than proposal 2 (which I liked but were complex). It is your best try IMO. I agree with Caty that using icons too reduce the place taken will not allow easy extensions. But Alex proposal would help to have a summary view, which is nice to have too.

Maybe we could do both in fact. Propose a summary view (by default), which fit a single line per user, this view would present the common rights (V/C/E/D/A/(R/P)) using icons, and a last icon would be used to mention there is more special rights either inherited, allowed or denied. So we only need to use (and think about) a short icon representation for common rights, and extended rights will be represented by a single special representation. Rows could be expanded individually or globally so if you want a more detailled information, you may reach it either for a single user or all at once. Changing common rights would be allowed in collapsed mode and expanded mode, but changing special rights would only be allowed in expanded view.

If you want to keep the width even smaller, you may also colspan the user/group column over the others, using 2 rows per user, but I am not sure it will be nice. (Could this be only when horizontal space is short ?)

I really like this one because it is simple to learn without documentation and could also help learning how rights works, but there is again some inconstancies with the current implementation. Compare to proposal 3, these inconsistencies may be nicely fixed and really helps understanding why the right is disallowed at any time. You can do it like this:

- the inheritance pop-up information should be at the right level in the inheritance columns. The rights are inherited and check individually, so the precise source of inheritance is per rights, not only per user or group - there is a local source of inheritance: if the a right is allowed to anyone else at the same level, it is implicitly disallowed for any others. So the source of inheritance is the local level, implying a deny because the local level has at least a specific allow. This means than when you drag the first time a right in the allow column, all other user/group at the same level will have that right inherited deny from the current level. (For those who wonder and will check the source of the right service, yes, there is potential performance improvement by immediately denying when a non-matching allow is found, currently we continue to check right at higher level for more deny, this is not really clever)

With these changes, I really feel that this last proposal could be a real improvement in the way rights are applied, and keeps the interface simple at the same time.

WDYT ?

Denis