atom feed13 messages in org.freebsd.freebsd-stableRe: Broken loader on 7.1-STABLE?
FromSent OnAttachments
ReubenJan 9, 2009 9:18 am
Mark KirkwoodJan 20, 2009 2:56 am
John RushfordJan 20, 2009 5:22 pm
Mark KirkwoodJan 20, 2009 11:13 pm
Gary PalmerJan 21, 2009 6:03 am
jj...@larush.comJan 21, 2009 8:52 am
Rainer HurlingJan 21, 2009 11:42 am
John RushfordJan 21, 2009 5:23 pm
John RushfordJan 21, 2009 5:45 pm
Mike BarnardJan 28, 2009 3:43 am
Mark KirkwoodFeb 7, 2009 8:05 pm
Mark KirkwoodFeb 8, 2009 2:37 pm
Yoshihiro OtaFeb 12, 2009 8:24 pm
Subject:Re: Broken loader on 7.1-STABLE?
From:John Rushford (jj@alisa.org)
Date:Jan 21, 2009 5:45:02 pm
List:org.freebsd.freebsd-stable

On 1/21/09 9:52 AM, "jj@larush.com" <jj@larush.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 06:22:00PM -0700, John Rushford wrote:

Hello,

Perhaps mine is a different issue but I ran into this today.

I loaded FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE from a DVD onto an Apple Mac Pro after partitioning a drive with bootcamp. The install went quite well and the machine came up with no issues. I configured networking, X, and got gnome working. I setup cvsup and loaded the STABLE sources, ran make buildworld, make kernel, etc...

I attempted to boot into single user to run mergemaster, installworld, etc.. But the machine will not boot, I now get the following errror and prompt:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad9s1a

I input ufs:/dev/ad9s1a to no avail and ? Does not list any other devices.

I've booted from the DVD and gone into Fixit mode and can mount /dev/ad9s1a just fine. I thought that I'd try putting back loader.old on the off chance that might solve the problem but, I do not see a loader.old, just loader. The kernel.old directory is there.

Any ideas on what the issue might be and how to fix?

Appreciate the help as I'd like to get 7.1-STABLE running on this machine.

Did the kernel probe messages prior to the mountroot prompt indicate that the appropriate disk controllers were found/probed and that the disk devices were found on the disk controllers? The lack of any devices listed when you asked might indicate a kernel configuration problem.

Regards,

P.S. Please do not top post.

I believe the appropriate disk controllers were found, I had no trouble mounting the root filesystem while in Fixit. I'll double check this evening and let you know. I have gone back and booted without issue from kernel.old and the machine is running 7.1-RELEASE.

Hmm, I have 3 disks in this Mac Pro with FreeBSD installed on the disk in Bay 3. When I boot the 7.1-RELEASE GENERIC kernel from the DVD install, these 3 disks are named ad8, ad9, and ad10. The FreeBSD resides on ad9s1a. I built 7.1-STABLE GENERIC kernel with no modifications except to comment out the debug option. When I boot this kernel, the disks are re-named as ad6, ad7, and ad8 and I'm dropped into this prompt:

Manual root filesystem specification:

? Lists no valid disks.

Next I boot from DVD with the 7.1-RELEASE Kernel and the disks are named as before, I can mount /dev/ad9s1a and switch back to the 7.1-RELEASE kernel in /boot to get the machine back up.

Any ideas?

BTW, its a Mac Pro and an AMD64 kernel