atom feed9 messages in org.foaf-project.lists.foaf-protocols[foaf-protocols] todo: smtp/pop proxy...
FromSent OnAttachments
Henry StorySep 3, 2010 9:59 am
Henry StorySep 3, 2010 10:07 am
Kingsley IdehenSep 3, 2010 10:54 am
NathanSep 3, 2010 10:59 am
Kingsley IdehenSep 3, 2010 11:03 am
Henry StorySep 3, 2010 11:05 am
Henry StorySep 4, 2010 10:28 am
Henry StorySep 6, 2010 5:32 am
Dan BrickleySep 6, 2010 5:52 am
Subject:[foaf-protocols] todo: smtp/pop proxy for Web Mail
From:Henry Story (henr@bblfish.net)
Date:Sep 3, 2010 9:59:29 am
List:org.foaf-project.lists.foaf-protocols

An idea: how to get rid of e-mail.

Blogging is like e-mail with access control. Post a blog entry that can be read
only by the people you intend to read using access control. Ping them. They use
WebID to authenticate and can read it, copying the entry over to their store.

Result: secure e-mail that arrives in a couple of connections at its
destination.

Next: write a pop/smtp proxy, so that people can use their current e-mail
clients to do their work. Sending: When someone writes an email it is sent to the smtp server. If that
server has a webid-mail endpoint to ping it use the RESTful mail. If they don't
forward to a traditional smtp server Receiving: the proxy receives all traditional and WebId Mail, and presents it to
the client using a traditional SMTP service.

Additional feature: Create a nice Web Interface so that you get webmail for
free.

Could also work with a WebID enabled RSS reader.

Henry

PS. I think I mentioned this before, but just talked about it at DERI, so it's
fresh in my mind.

Social Web Architect http://bblfish.net/