atom feed4 messages in org.apache.incubator.cloudstack-devRelease plan update
FromSent OnAttachments
Ewan MellorAug 16, 2012 7:39 pm
Brett PorterAug 16, 2012 8:25 pm
Ewan MellorAug 16, 2012 8:30 pm
Brett PorterAug 16, 2012 9:26 pm
Subject:Release plan update
From:Ewan Mellor (Ewan@eu.citrix.com)
Date:Aug 16, 2012 7:39:41 pm
List:org.apache.incubator.cloudstack-dev

Hi all,

We're scheduled to make our first release candidate build at the end of this
week. Our primary criterion for this was that we would have resolved all of our
licensing and policy issues, so that we can put together a build that meets
Apache policy. To that I would like to add these other release criteria:

1. Working upgrade from 3.0.2 to 4.0.

2. Green lights from automated unit and system testing.

It's clear to me that we're not going to meet these criteria at the end of this
week. We got our first green light on the unit-test job today, but we still
haven't got system tests working. Also, it is clear from what Will was saying
earlier this week that upgrade is going to need more time and attention from us.
Even on the first point alone - the licensing and policy issues - we still have
outstanding questions, so there is no chance of having a release candidate
tomorrow.

I propose extending the schedule by three weeks. One week would be at the end,
to address David's point earlier this week that we will need to allow time for
the project and the IPMC to vote. The other two weeks would be to extend the
current stabilization phase, to give us time to address the remaining legal,
policy, upgrade, and testing items.

This would make the schedule look like this:

Stability and bugfix work: Now - Friday 31 August. First release candidate build: Friday 31 August. Testing and subsequent release candidates: Monday 3 - Friday 14 September. Release build: Monday 17 September. Votes: Monday 17 - Monday 24 September. Binary upload: Tuesday 25 September. Release announcement: Wednesday 26 September.

Comments welcome. We can discuss this further in the IRC meeting tomorrow too,
that's 17:00 UTC.

Cheers,

Ewan.