atom feed11 messages in org.osafoundation.chandler-dev[chandler-dev] Building Chandler 1.0....
FromSent OnAttachments
Matt SchaferJun 18, 2009 10:19 pm
Grant BaillieJun 19, 2009 8:05 am
Matt SchaferJun 21, 2009 3:44 pm
Grant BaillieJun 24, 2009 4:44 pm
Matt SchaferJun 25, 2009 12:41 am
Grant BaillieJun 25, 2009 11:41 am
Matt SchaferJun 25, 2009 2:06 pm
Grant BaillieJun 26, 2009 4:45 pm
Andi VajdaJun 26, 2009 5:01 pm
Grant BaillieJun 26, 2009 5:58 pm
Andi VajdaJun 27, 2009 12:21 am
Subject:[chandler-dev] Building Chandler 1.0.3+ on Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)
From:Matt Schafer (slyy@gmail.com)
Date:Jun 18, 2009 10:19:52 pm
List:org.osafoundation.chandler-dev

Howdy,

I attempted to build Chandler desktop to get rid of the deprecation errors. I noticed that they have been fixed in the repository, so I exported the trunk at r16687.

I attempted to follow the instructions at http://chandlerproject.org/Developers/RunningChandlerFromSourceReleases. This did not work because the pre-built binaries are not at the URL that the Makefile expects them. (Makefile expects files at http://builds.osafoundation.org/external/jaunty/*, but the files actually live at http://builds.osafoundation.org/external/*. No 'jaunty' directory.)

So then I decided that I'd try to make a full build. (Whew! That takes a while.) At least then, I'd have a nice clean .deb package that I could install on my everyday machine. That failed as well, because there is no Twisted egg package for Python 2.6 in the external package list. (I suspect this would also cause the run from source to fail as well, if it had gotten that far.)

First, I recognize that there isn't much development effort going into the Chandler 1.x Desktop tree. But I also have become quite dependent upon Chandler in both my work and personal lives. So I need something to tide me over until Chandler 2 is ready.

And now for some questions: 1. What is the easiest way for me to proceed with the least amount of time from the developers? 2. I noticed that the build scripts are downloading a lot of stuff that I had already installed in packages. (setuptools, python-dateutil, pylint) These are the same version or newer in packages that I installed. Does the build process not recognize they're installed, and then skip the download and build? 2a. vobject is a newer version downloaded by the build script than what I had installed. I understand why we may need to download that. Are the other packages modified in some way, or are they stock builds? 3. Does Twisted need to be built for a specific version of Python? Can I use the one that is in the Jaunty repositories? 4. There is a lot of building for PyLucene that goes on. Can we use the pylucene package that is in the Jaunty repositories?

Again, don't want to take a lot of your time. I'm willing to dig into this myself. But this is a huge project, and I don't know any of the development history. Any help is much appreciated.