atom feed1 message in org.perl.perl5-portersRestructuring perlvar
FromSent OnAttachments
brian d foySep 16, 2010 1:09 am
Subject:Restructuring perlvar
From:brian d foy (bria@gmail.com)
Date:Sep 16, 2010 1:09:13 am
List:org.perl.perl5-porters

As I was writing about the per-filehandle variables, I noticed that perlvar is a bit of a mess. If there's a logic to the order of the variables, it's not one that's necessarily helpful for figuring out how they relate to each other.

I created the briandfoy/perlvar branch and went to work.

I broke them in sections for:

* general vars * regex vars * filehandle vars * format vars * error vars * deprecated vars

Since I added sections, I was also able to move the various content about the vars to the section where they make sense. The stuff about filehandle vars goes in the filehandle section, the error variable stuff goes in the error section, and the stuff about dynamic scoping and performance goes in the regex section.

I also went through each and documented in which stable versions officially introduced all the new variables.

I moved all the mnemonic hints to the end of the entries so people always find them in the same place.

It's still a bit of a mess because I only created the sections and moved text around. I haven't looked at the order of variables in each section.

There's still some more I'd like to do, but I'm out of time for moment:

* fix my pod errors

* better mark the read-only variables so people don't have to read the entire entry to find the right sentence.

* re-jigger any of the text that talks about the structure of the file

* ensure that perldoc -v still works