atom feed23 messages in org.w3.public-esw-thesRe: Modeling change in and between sc...
FromSent OnAttachments
Joseph TennisAug 28, 2006 12:57 pm
Jakob VossAug 29, 2006 2:26 am
Aida SlavicAug 29, 2006 5:13 am
Houghton,AndrewAug 29, 2006 6:06 am
Mark van AssemAug 29, 2006 7:46 am
Aida SlavicAug 29, 2006 8:04 am
Joseph TennisAug 29, 2006 8:16 am
Jakob VossAug 29, 2006 10:11 am
Mark van AssemAug 29, 2006 2:45 pm
Svensson, LarsAug 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Danny AyersAug 30, 2006 2:07 am
Joseph TennisSep 1, 2006 9:22 am
Joseph TennisSep 1, 2006 9:25 am
Joseph TennisSep 1, 2006 9:31 am
Joseph TennisSep 1, 2006 9:34 am
Joseph TennisSep 1, 2006 9:36 am
Joseph TennisSep 1, 2006 9:48 am
Jakob VossSep 4, 2006 12:30 am
Jakob VossSep 4, 2006 12:57 am
Jakob VossSep 4, 2006 1:38 am
Joseph TennisSep 4, 2006 6:59 am
Jakob VossSep 5, 2006 12:25 am
Joseph TennisSep 5, 2006 6:16 am
Subject:Re: Modeling change in and between schemes using SKOS - the problem of persistent URIs
From:Mark van Assem (ma@cs.vu.nl)
Date:Aug 29, 2006 7:46:54 am
List:org.w3.public-esw-thes

Hi,

To solve this issue we proposed using a URI that included scheme, edition, translation, and notation. It would keep the skos:Concept elements from being merged by RDF. To track relationships of

We used a similar solution for WordNet [1]. It is the minimal thing you can do to prevent mistakes, but leaves one with the problem of working with multiple versions of the vocab.

concepts between editions we thought that we could use OWL or use the SKOS mapping vocabulary.

Complicating matter is that what constitutes a good mapping might differ between applications. For one application a small difference between peaches1 and peaches2 might not matter, for another it might.

It seems an open problem; in general there seem to be no established practices for versioning in the RDF/OWL community.

is the predominate religion and not Christianity. So the concept identifier 234.56 in the English edition of Dewey could mean something totally different in the Arabic edition.

Sounds like a case for SKOS mapping. Different URIs for the editions, map the Christianity ones on each other.

Another solution might be to distinguish between the (global) URI and (local) edition identifiers. Christianity would get one global URI and two properties to define the local ID per edition.

Cheers, Mark. -- Mark F.J. van Assem - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam mark@cs.vu.nl - http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark