atom feed97 messages in org.apache.poi.devRejection of any ENCUMBERED Microsoft...
FromSent OnAttachments
Andrew C. OliverMar 26, 2008 5:15 pm
Gianugo RabellinoMar 26, 2008 7:34 pm
Andrew C. OliverMar 26, 2008 7:48 pm
Gianugo RabellinoMar 26, 2008 8:18 pm
Andrew C. OliverMar 26, 2008 8:58 pm
Andrew C. OliverMar 26, 2008 9:01 pm
David FisherMar 26, 2008 9:02 pm
Andrew C. OliverMar 26, 2008 9:30 pm
David FisherMar 26, 2008 10:01 pm
Nick BurchMar 27, 2008 4:40 am
Gianugo RabellinoMar 27, 2008 7:59 am
Andrew C. OliverMar 27, 2008 2:36 pm
Gianugo RabellinoMar 27, 2008 2:59 pm
Andrew C. OliverMar 28, 2008 6:29 am
Andrew C. OliverMar 28, 2008 6:29 am
Gianugo RabellinoMar 28, 2008 7:20 am
Andrew C. OliverMar 30, 2008 10:55 pm
Nick BurchMar 31, 2008 8:49 am
Andrew C. OliverApr 1, 2008 7:02 am
Gianugo RabellinoApr 6, 2008 4:37 am
Andrew C. OliverApr 8, 2008 4:44 pm
dfis...@jmlafferty.comApr 8, 2008 7:01 pm
Nick BurchApr 10, 2008 3:10 am
Andrew C. OliverApr 11, 2008 5:16 pm
Andrew SavoryApr 12, 2008 3:48 am
Andrew C. OliverApr 12, 2008 4:04 pm
71 later messages
Subject:Rejection of any ENCUMBERED Microsoft Donation to POI
From:Andrew C. Oliver (acol@buni.org)
Date:Mar 26, 2008 5:15:01 pm
List:org.apache.poi.dev

For the moment I'm having issues with my normal email address due to Buni's ISP providing inadequate service and our lack of time moving off of it. I'll read the list enough to keep up. If you don't get a response and expected one then email acoliver ot gmail dat org.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206905858&subSection=News

I vote -1 to any donation from SourceSense or Microsoft which holds these terms:

" For patented protocols, Microsoft said it would offer licenses on "reasonable and non-discriminatory terms." Open source developers can access the protocols for free for noncommercial use without fear of lawsuits, Microsoft said. "

This violates the Open Source Definition: http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

specifically #6.

In order for any donations to be acceptable they must certify that ALL rights necessary for the software to be properly licensed as open source are transferred and sign a Software Contributor Agreement: http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

This would exclude the proposed RAND and "non-commercial" directive.

I have no problem with microsoft donating to POI provided they donate ACTUAL open source and not Faux-open source.

-Andy