atom feed33 messages in org.apache.jackrabbit.dev[jr3 trade consistency for availability]
FromSent OnAttachments
Michael DürigFeb 22, 2012 9:36 am
Marcel ReuteggerFeb 23, 2012 12:09 am
Ard SchrijversFeb 23, 2012 2:25 am
Thomas MuellerFeb 23, 2012 3:06 am
Ard SchrijversFeb 23, 2012 3:37 am
Michael DürigFeb 23, 2012 3:42 am
Thomas MuellerFeb 23, 2012 4:47 am
Ard SchrijversFeb 24, 2012 1:53 am
Michael DürigFeb 24, 2012 2:01 am
Ard SchrijversFeb 24, 2012 2:13 am
Alexander KlimetschekFeb 24, 2012 2:29 pm
Ard SchrijversFeb 27, 2012 2:04 am
Michael DürigFeb 28, 2012 6:11 am
Michael DürigFeb 28, 2012 6:12 am
Marcel ReuteggerFeb 28, 2012 6:45 am
Marcel ReuteggerFeb 28, 2012 6:54 am
Michael DürigFeb 28, 2012 10:49 am
Michael DürigFeb 28, 2012 11:15 am
Marcel ReuteggerFeb 29, 2012 2:04 am
Dominique PfisterFeb 29, 2012 3:19 am
Marcel ReuteggerFeb 29, 2012 5:52 am
Michael DürigFeb 29, 2012 6:38 am
Marcel ReuteggerFeb 29, 2012 7:44 am
Dominique PfisterFeb 29, 2012 8:30 am
Michael DürigFeb 29, 2012 8:45 am
Michael DürigFeb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Dominique PfisterFeb 29, 2012 9:07 am
Marcel ReuteggerMar 1, 2012 12:03 am
Marcel ReuteggerMar 1, 2012 12:03 am
Thomas MuellerMar 1, 2012 12:32 am
Marcel ReuteggerMar 1, 2012 12:50 am
Thomas MuellerMar 1, 2012 12:54 am
Dominique PfisterMar 1, 2012 6:39 am
Subject:[jr3 trade consistency for availability]
From:Michael Dürig (mdue@adobe.com)
Date:Feb 22, 2012 9:36:18 am
List:org.apache.jackrabbit.dev

Hi,

Last week's F2F resulted in an initial draft of goals for jr3 [1]. A general direction this is taking is trading some of the consistency guarantees for better availability (especially in a clustered set up). As it stands - and as Jukka already noted - the specifics are currently too vague and we need further refinements.

What are the consistency assumptions a JCR client should be allowed to make?

An approach where temporary inconsistencies are tolerated (i.e. eventual consistency) increases availability and throughput. In such a case do/can/should we tolerate temporary violations of:

- Node type constraints? - Access control rights? - Lock enforcement? - Query index consistency? - Atomicity of save operations? - ...?

Should we offer alternatives in some of these cases? That is, give the client the ability to choose between consistency and availability.

Michael

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Goals%20and%20non%20goals%20for%20Jackrabbit%203