atom feed66 messages in org.python.python-ideasRe: [Python-ideas] An alternate appro...
FromSent OnAttachments
35 earlier messages
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 4:35 am
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 4:48 am
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 4:52 am
Richard OudkerkNov 28, 2012 5:00 am
Sturla MoldenNov 28, 2012 7:07 am
Guido van RossumNov 28, 2012 7:58 am
Sturla MoldenNov 28, 2012 10:57 am
Sturla MoldenNov 28, 2012 10:59 am
Richard OudkerkNov 28, 2012 11:11 am
Sturla MoldenNov 28, 2012 11:22 am
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 11:23 am
Richard OudkerkNov 28, 2012 11:57 am
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 12:05 pm
Guido van RossumNov 28, 2012 12:14 pm
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 12:17 pm
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 12:32 pm
Guido van RossumNov 28, 2012 12:49 pm
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 1:02 pm
Guido van RossumNov 28, 2012 1:18 pm
Greg EwingNov 28, 2012 1:28 pm
Greg EwingNov 28, 2012 2:28 pm
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 2:40 pm
Richard OudkerkNov 28, 2012 2:52 pm
Guido van RossumNov 28, 2012 2:52 pm
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 2:54 pm
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 3:04 pm
Trent NelsonNov 28, 2012 3:37 pm
Antoine PitrouNov 29, 2012 1:16 am
Trent NelsonNov 29, 2012 4:24 am
Sturla MoldenNov 29, 2012 8:02 am
Richard OudkerkNov 30, 2012 7:20 am
Subject:Re: [Python-ideas] An alternate approach to async IO
From:Trent Nelson (tre@snakebite.org)
Date:Nov 28, 2012 2:54:20 pm
List:org.python.python-ideas

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 02:28:35PM -0800, Greg Ewing wrote:

Trent Nelson wrote:

I'm arguing that with my approach, because the background IO thread stuff is as optimal as it can be -- more IO events would be available per event loop iteration, and the latency between the event occurring versus when the event loop picks it up would be reduced. The theory being that that will result in higher through- put and lower latency in practice.

But the data still as to wait around somewhere until the Python thread gets around to dealing with it. I don't see why it's better for it to sit around in the interlocked list than it is for the completion packets to just wait in the IOCP until the Python thread is ready.

Hopefully the response I just sent to Guido makes things a little clearer? I gave a few more examples of where I believe my approach is going to be much better than the single thread approach, which overlaps the concerns you raise here.

Trent.