atom feed7 messages in org.apache.jackrabbit.dev[jr3] On pluggability and OSGi (Was: ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Jukka ZittingFeb 23, 2012 8:33 am
Thomas MuellerFeb 23, 2012 8:36 am
Dominique PfisterFeb 23, 2012 8:40 am
Stefan GuggisbergFeb 23, 2012 8:42 am
KÖLL ClausFeb 23, 2012 10:51 pm
Felix MeschbergerFeb 24, 2012 1:05 am
Jukka ZittingFeb 24, 2012 1:34 am
Subject:[jr3] On pluggability and OSGi (Was: [jr3] Release roadmap)
From:Jukka Zitting (jukk@gmail.com)
Date:Feb 23, 2012 8:33:34 am
List:org.apache.jackrabbit.dev

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Felix Meschberger <fmes@adobe.com> wrote:

Hence I would go with OSGi from Day 0 and use the OSGi Service Registry as the mechanic for pluggability.

The trouble with OSGi by default is that it brings in a massive and pretty complex dependency with it. If you build your code with the OSGi service registry in mind, it becomes difficult to run it in any other environment, including in a simple JUnit test case. You're basically making an assumption that all your deployment environments will be OSGi frameworks, which dramatically reduces your potential user-base.

I don't want us to make that assumption. It should IMHO be possible to embed the repository implementation to for example an Android app, to a Maven plugin or a J2EE CMS without having to OSGify the entire application.

That doesn't mean we couldn't or shouldn't use OSGi for wiring things up when the repository *is* deployed to an OSGi environment. Indeed that's why I explicitly included those points in the roadmap. It's just that we shouldn't make the core architecture depend on constructs like ServiceTracker that don't work outside the scope of OSGi.

BR,