atom feed8 messages in org.apache.ant.devImport Bushel into Ivy
FromSent OnAttachments
Nicolas LalevéeOct 13, 2010 6:38 am
Antoine Levy-LambertOct 14, 2010 1:18 pm
Maarten CoeneOct 18, 2010 2:54 pm
Nicolas LalevéeOct 19, 2010 12:50 am
Nicolas LalevéeOct 22, 2010 7:04 am
Stefan BodewigNov 2, 2010 2:40 am
Nicolas LalevéeNov 2, 2010 4:01 am
Nicolas LalevéeNov 3, 2010 8:55 am
Subject:Import Bushel into Ivy
From:Nicolas Lalevée (nico@hibnet.org)
Date:Oct 13, 2010 6:38:10 am
List:org.apache.ant.dev

Hi all,

I would like to import the code of Bushel [1] into Ivy core.

On the technical part. Bushel implement some special Ivy resolver and version matching which understand
the different kind of OSGi dependency, and also understand the repository
descriptor OBR (OSGi Bundle Repository). So the import will make those resolver
part of Ivy core.

On the legal part. The code has been developed under the ASL2 license and by only three
developpers: Alex Radeski, Jérôme Benois and me. I have contacted the two
others, they are joining me in this request and are willing to sign any software
grant paper necessary. As the code will be imported into Ivy, the "Bushel" name will then disappear.
Ivy will then support some OSGi feature.

Deeper in the technical part. As I explained here [2], Ivy cannot fulfill entirely the OSGi resolve
specification. But I have managed to make resolve work and I think it can fill
some requirement like making some transition from a ivy/maven based resolution
mechanism to a pure OSGi based one. Or the reverse. With that respect, we
shouldn't lure Ivy users to say that Ivy support OSGi and I suggest that we
would flag at first it as "experimental". As users would start to try it, we
will see real world case appear, and then we would then advise of its real
state. This might sound quite pessimistic, but I find this feature exiting enough to
bring it into Ivy core.

WDYT ?

Nicolas

[1] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/ [2] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/wiki/IvyOsgiMapping