atom feed14 messages in org.xml.lists.xml-dev[xml-dev] xml over http - RFC 3023
FromSent OnAttachments
Andrew WelchNov 27, 2008 2:13 am
Julian ReschkeNov 27, 2008 4:34 am
Chris BurdessNov 28, 2008 2:28 am
David CarlisleNov 28, 2008 2:58 am
Andrew WelchNov 28, 2008 3:00 am
Julian ReschkeNov 28, 2008 3:31 am
David CarlisleNov 28, 2008 3:38 am
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)Nov 29, 2008 1:36 am
Rick JelliffeNov 30, 2008 11:45 pm
Andrew WelchDec 1, 2008 2:16 am
Michael KayDec 1, 2008 2:52 am
Rick JelliffeDec 1, 2008 3:01 am
Andrew WelchDec 1, 2008 4:11 am
Rick JelliffeDec 1, 2008 4:37 am
Subject:[xml-dev] xml over http - RFC 3023
From:Andrew Welch (andr@gmail.com)
Date:Nov 27, 2008 2:13:28 am
List:org.xml.lists.xml-dev

Hi all,

There's a very good article here about the problem of reading feeds from all over the world in different encodings:

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/07/21/dive.html

It describes how you (sometimes) have the encoding in the http content type but also the encoding in the xml prolog, and the problems of choosing which to use.

It also talks of RFC 3023 which sounds like it was an attempt to sort it out. The article is dated July 2004 and I'm wondering if there's any more recent information? Is there any support in modern parsers - for example can I give the parser a URL and it takes care of the rest?

At the moment it all seems pretty complicated... especially considering XML was designed for the web. The problem of parsing feeds from all over the world must have tackled a few times over by now?

thanks

-- Andrew Welch http://andrewjwelch.com Kernow: http://kernowforsaxon.sf.net/

XML-DEV is a publicly archived, unmoderated list hosted by OASIS to support XML implementation and development. To minimize spam in the archives, you must subscribe before posting.