atom feed52 messages in org.apache.incubator.generalRe: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 E...
FromSent OnAttachments
Ismael GhalimiFeb 15, 2006 2:07 pm
Davanum SrinivasFeb 15, 2006 2:15 pm
Bill FloodFeb 15, 2006 3:16 pm
Alan D. CabreraFeb 15, 2006 11:52 pm
James StrachanFeb 16, 2006 1:25 am
Ismael GhalimiFeb 16, 2006 7:35 am
Ismael GhalimiFeb 16, 2006 7:39 am
Noel J. BergmanFeb 16, 2006 8:32 am
Ismael GhalimiFeb 16, 2006 8:41 am
Davanum SrinivasFeb 16, 2006 9:22 am
Geir Magnusson JrFeb 16, 2006 10:08 am
James StrachanFeb 16, 2006 10:37 am
Alex BoisvertFeb 16, 2006 12:08 pm
Alex BoisvertFeb 16, 2006 12:28 pm
Bill FloodFeb 16, 2006 2:02 pm
Sanjiva WeerawaranaFeb 16, 2006 2:40 pm
Alex BoisvertFeb 16, 2006 2:44 pm
Roy T. FieldingFeb 16, 2006 2:46 pm
Davanum SrinivasFeb 16, 2006 2:49 pm
Alex BoisvertFeb 16, 2006 2:58 pm
Geir Magnusson JrFeb 16, 2006 9:20 pm
James StrachanFeb 17, 2006 12:51 am
Sanjiva WeerawaranaFeb 17, 2006 3:59 am
Rob DaviesFeb 17, 2006 4:43 am
Sanjiva WeerawaranaFeb 17, 2006 4:57 am
Geir Magnusson JrFeb 17, 2006 5:20 am
Bill FloodFeb 17, 2006 7:14 am
James StrachanFeb 17, 2006 7:56 am
James StrachanFeb 17, 2006 9:41 am
Davanum SrinivasFeb 17, 2006 10:10 am
Paul BrownFeb 17, 2006 10:44 am
James StrachanFeb 17, 2006 11:07 am
Ismael GhalimiFeb 17, 2006 3:14 pm
Noel J. BergmanFeb 17, 2006 3:37 pm
Geir Magnusson JrFeb 17, 2006 7:01 pm
Davanum SrinivasFeb 17, 2006 7:47 pm
Niclas HedhmanFeb 17, 2006 7:59 pm
Sanjiva WeerawaranaFeb 17, 2006 8:07 pm
Davanum SrinivasFeb 17, 2006 8:23 pm
Noel J. BergmanFeb 17, 2006 8:26 pm
Noel J. BergmanFeb 17, 2006 8:26 pm
Noel J. BergmanFeb 17, 2006 9:26 pm
James StrachanFeb 18, 2006 12:58 am
James StrachanFeb 18, 2006 1:00 am
Matthieu RiouFeb 18, 2006 1:42 am
Jacek LaskowskiFeb 18, 2006 5:41 am
Davanum SrinivasFeb 18, 2006 11:22 am
Hiram ChirinoFeb 20, 2006 6:36 am
Davanum SrinivasFeb 20, 2006 6:40 am
David CrossleyFeb 20, 2006 2:41 pm
robert burrell donkinFeb 24, 2006 10:05 am
Paul BrownFeb 24, 2006 3:00 pm
Subject:Re: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
From:Ismael Ghalimi (ghal@intalio.com)
Date:Feb 17, 2006 3:14:56 pm
List:org.apache.incubator.general

Team,

Before we decide to put both codebases under the same project or under separate projects, I would like to ask a couple of clarifying questions.

First, what is the goal of the Ode project? Is it to develop an implementation of the BPEL specification, or is it to develop a process engine that is based on BPEL, but could support other workflow patterns as well, as was suggested in a previous post? While both options have their own merits, I am a little bit worried that the later could lead to a lot of confusion and wasted efforts, especially if we were to start from two separate codebases that have very different architectures underneath. I have been in the process game long enough to know that not specifying the process model upfront -- be it BPEL, BPML, XPDL or WSFL -- can take one down a path leading nowhere. A lot of work went into the development of the BPEL specification, and I respectfully suggest that we do not try to re-invent this work here, at least not until we get a working version of the process model we pick as a reference point.

Second, if we agree that the goal is to develop an implementation of the BPEL specification, I would like us to answer the following questions. I understand that some questions have already been answered on this mailing list, but summarizing the answers would certainly help.

- Do we want to support BPEL 2.0, BPEL 1.1, or both? - Do we want to be independent from any specific ESB? - Do we want to be independent from any specific J2EE application server? - Do we want to rely on JBI and how does it impact the previous goal? - Do we want to have something that we can release now or can we wait 6 to 12 months? - If we want to release something now, is it ok to have two separate codebases under the same project?